We're running a consultation on the proposed River Dearne Long Route (RDLR) scheme. This is open until Tuesday 18 October 2022.
The RDLR will improve active travel infrastructure within the Dearne Valley Country Park between Harborough Hill Road, Pontefract Road and Grange Lane for walkers and cyclists.
The scheme will add to the growing network of active travel routes throughout Barnsley. It will offer connectivity to the soon-to-be-delivered A61 and A635 active travel schemes.
The scheme will deliver the following:
- Upgraded entrance from the Harborough Hill Road gyratory into the park.
- 4-metre wide sealed shared use paths throughout the park. These will be between Harborough Hill Road, Pontefract Road and Grange Lane (3 to 3.5 metres by the canal).
- Two upgraded entrances on Pontefract Road (A628) to the park's west and east sections.
- Upgraded entrance into the park from Grange Lane.
The scheme may also deliver the following, subject to more investigation:
- Upgrades to bridges within the park to accommodate the new 4-metre-wide shared path.
If you live, work and visit the Monk Bretton and Central wards, we'd particularly like to hear from you.
We want feedback on how the scheme will affect those who use the current pathways and those living in the areas. This is to make sure we're implementing the scheme in the best possible way and to gather suggestions that could improve the route.
You can complete the survey online or attend one of our events:
|Monday 3 October 2022
|Oakwell Stadium, Grove Street, S71 1ET
|Tuesday 11 October 2022
|Priory Campus, Pontefract Road, Lundwood, S71 5PN
If you have any questions about the consultation, please email email@example.com
For more information read our press release.
Details of the route and proposed changes are outlined in the River Dearne Long Route plan (PDF 7.43MB).