Barnsley is a large borough located in South Yorkshire. We're proud of our heritage as a historic market town, famous for mining and glass work.
Barnsley has seen huge changes in recent years. An awarding museum and culture offer, great house prices, acres of green space on your doorstep. We're attracting both visitors and investors at a record rate. Take a look at Visit Barnsley to see what's on offer.
It's often overlooked that the borough is much wider than just Barnsley as a town. It's surrounded by key outlying towns including Penistone, Wombwell and Hoyland, and many thriving rural villages.
We're in an ideal location in the heart of Yorkshire. We're located in the centre of the UK, with the M1 and A1 offering superb transport links. Businesses also benefit from high quality, low cost commercial premises. Business support is provided from an award-winning council that is driving forward inward investment and named as the LGC and MJ Council of the Year for 2023.
Our achievements are evident
- Our award winning Enterprising Barnsley supported 96 new businesses to launch in 2022.
- Our Digital Media Centres have a trailblazing global group of digital and creative advance. We're leading on digital within South Yorkshire.
- Evri’s parcel sortation hub is the largest in Europe, creating 1400 jobs. Currently, 425 permanent positions have been filled by mostly local people.
- US company SHI’s Nexus Centre is a recent £12m investment that brings 150 jobs. It offers an advanced data centre and computing solutions.
- Our longstanding link with GXO Logistics and their ASOS flagship fulfilment centre brings 5000 jobs. This makes them the largest private employer in the borough.
- Barnsley College is rated outstanding. Th college is passionate about training and progress for our young people.
- A new NHS blood and transport service opened in 2020. This is one of the most advanced of its kind in the world. The centre, just off the M1, enables the NHS to distribute blood products and deliver world class lab services. They also offer the chance to create new advanced cell therapies.
- Our £220 million town centre changes in Barnsley. Our flagship project - The Glass Works, has attracted major retailers, bars and restaurants. This makes Barnsley a great place to live, work and invest.
- 850 new businesses (start ups) have commenced trading in Barnsley. 400 more businesses have invested in the borough.
- The percentage of Barnsley residents employed in 'higher skilled jobs' has increased from 42.1% in 2020 to 48%.
- More people than ever before are choosing to use green methods of travel. We've seen an increase in people cycling (3%), walking (12%), and using a bus or train (25%). Less people are now travelling by private car (60%).
- There is 100km of extra new 'off road cycle routes' in the borough. 100km of the borough's 'public rights of way’ have also been improved.
Our future ambitions
- Increase the coverage of gigabit capable broadband across Barnsley to 100% by 2030.
- By 2025, over 8000 new jobs will have been created in Barnsley. This will rise to more than 15,500 new jobs by 2030.
- The percentage of the Barnsley population with a qualification at Level 4 or above will increase to 40%.
- Every young person attends a 'good' or 'outstanding' school or early years setting. All pre to post-16 settings are performing above the national average.
- Annual footfall in our town centre and urban centres will have grown from 3.5m baseline (2020-21) to 10m by 2030.
- The number of people visiting cultural/heritage sites and museums across Barnsley doubles. Taking it from 1 million to 2 million in 2030.
- Over 10,000 new homes to be built in the borough by 2030.
- Reduce carbon emissions across the borough by 80%.
Find a property
Search a range of land and property available now across the borough.
Find managed workspaces including offices and workshops, retail, industrial premises and development land and more.