Following discussions with South Yorkshire Police, additional road closures will be needed for Barnsley FC’s League One match against Blackpool on Saturday 30 September 2023, 3pm kick-off.
In addition, Market Gate Car Park will be closed all day, and the temporary footbridge over the Jumble Lane crossing will also be closed to ensure supporter safety.
The closures will be in place from an hour before kick-off (2pm) until approximately an hour after full-time (6pm). The reopening time may vary depending on police needs.
The alternative walking routes to Oakwell include:
- Midland Street, Eldon Street and Schwäbisch Gmünd Way
- Kendray Street, Mayday Green, Cheapside, Wesley Street, Lambra Road, Pontefract Road, Grove Street
There will be no access for supporters via the Alhambra Centre or The Glass Works.
As part of the operation, the following changes will be in place at Barnsley Interchange, if needed:
- There may be no access through the Interchange, where the bridge between the bus station and the train station will be closed except for those with access needs, passengers with a valid train ticket or Buzz Bingo members with a valid pass/permit.
- Pedestrian access to and from the bus station will, as necessary, be via Eldon Street and Schwäbisch Gmünd Way.
- Access to the Interchange from Schwäbisch Gmünd Way will, as necessary, be for access to the railway station only, including being open for fans travelling to and from the game by rail.
- The existing temporary accessible route via Schwäbisch Gmünd Way and the transport interchange is available for those with access needs.
Supporters are reminded to use the designated and installed crossing points on the roads for their safety and the safety of other match-going fans.
Wheelchair users or supporters with pushchairs are advised to use the pavement/footway on the Court House side of Eldon Street during peak times to avoid congestion.
Fans are also advised to pay attention to road signs when travelling to and from the game.
To facilitate the access routes for the game, there will be associated partial and/or full closures of:
- Harborough Hill exit slip roads (diversion route via Harborough Hill/Westway or Harborough Hill/Old Mill Lane)
- Schwäbisch Gmünd Way
- Eldon Street North
- Mottram Street
- Pontefract Road beneath the Harborough Hill flyover
The council and South Yorkshire Police will monitor the road closures, which will be removed as soon as it is safe to do so. There are no immediate road closures around Oakwell.
- Church Street
- Eldon Street (including taxi rank)
- Market Hill
- Shambles Street
- St Mary’s Place
- Old Mill Lane
- Regent Street (except no left turn onto Eldon Street North other than for buses accessing the Interchange)
For vehicle users:
- Vehicle access to the Metrodome is maintained via Wesley Street, Lambra Road, Pontefract Road and Bala Street. Coach access can be managed through the uphill slip road closure on Harborough Hill.
- Vehicle access to Oakwell is maintained via Pontefract Road and Grove Street. Coach access is only via the exit slip road from the uphill side of Harborough Hill with access to the Queens Ground via Queens Road (coach access will as necessary be managed through the slip road closure)
- Drop-off and pick up for Buzz Bingo is via Midland Street, Pontefract Road (between Clyde Street and Bala Street with access via Wesley Street, Lambra Road and Pontefract Road) and Eldon Street North.
- There is no left turn from Regent Street other than for buses to access the bus station.
- Market Gate car park will be closed.
- The railway station car park will be shut, and customers will not be able to enter or leave during the closure times. Pick up and drop off will be available on Eldon Street North or Midland Street. Cars can park on Eldon Street for pick up - parking on the double yellow lines between Honeywell Street/Beckett Street and Schwäbisch Gmünd Way with the driver remaining in the vehicle.
- Where vehicle users approach a road closure, they will not be allowed access, and an alternative route will need to be used.
- Any violation of a road closure may constitute a road traffic offence; police officers on site will be asked to take necessary action for those ignoring the road closure. Registration numbers may also be provided to the police to consider any appropriate action.
Work is progressing well on Market Gate Bridge, which is expected to open later this autumn. It will link the existing public transport and Market Gate car park to The Glass Works as part of the redevelopment of Barnsley town centre. It will be fully accessible and able to accommodate footfall on matchdays once complete.
For a full list of Barnsley FC fixtures, please visit the club website. Please note all fixtures are subject to change.
More information on parking, including entering and leaving The Glass Works car park, can be found on our parking webpage.
Barnsley Council, Barnsley FC, Northern Railway and South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your continued patience.