Barnsley Council is pleased to announce a significant step forward in our commitment to sustainable waste management. After careful consideration and evaluation, we have awarded the contract for our recycling centres to HW Martin.
The decision to change our recycling centre contractor comes as part of our ongoing efforts to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of our waste management services. This transition will not only result in improved facilities but also aligns with our sustainability goals for a cleaner, greener, and more sustainable borough.
In order for this transition to be made, our recycling centres will be closed for one day on the following:
- Smithies - Monday 16 October
- Goldthorpe - Friday 20 October
- Penistone – Monday 23 October
- West Street, Worsbrough – Tuesday 31 October
Key highlights of this transition include:
- Enhanced Facilities: With the new contractor on board, we are set to make several improvements to our recycling centres. These upgrades will not only enhance the overall user experience but also streamline the recycling process.
- Safety Measures: Safety is of paramount importance to us. We want to reassure our residents that Health and Safety signage, as well as standard safety measures, will continue to be rigorously maintained at all our recycling sites.
- Collaboration and communication with residents: In our pursuit of better waste management services, we will be actively communicating these updates and changes to residents to make sure they are well-informed.
Cllr James Higginbottom, Cabinet Spokesperson for Environment and Highways said: "We’re committed to improving waste management services across our borough as we work towards creating a cleaner, greener more sustainable Barnsley.
“We are working diligently to ensure that this transition is seamless and beneficial for our residents.
“If you’re unsure when our recycling centres will be closed or what items you can take, visit barnsley.gov.uk/HWRC.”