Football supporters attending Barnsley FC matches and those using the town centre are reminded that the pre-existing arrangements for the temporary bridge will remain in place on home match days from the start of the 2023-2024 season until Market Gate Bridge is open.
Work is progressing well on Market Gate Bridge, which is expected to open this autumn. It will link the existing public transport and Market Gate car park to The Glass Works as part of the redevelopment of Barnsley town centre. It will be fully accessible and able to accommodate footfall on matchdays once complete.
A temporary bridge was erected over the Jumble Lane level crossing, which was closed in March 2019 by Network Rail for safety reasons, to allow pedestrians to cross over the railway line safely.
However, that bridge will be closed from an hour before kick-off until an hour after full time for each home game to support the safety of fans and other users. This is subject to change based on individual matches, which will be communicated when necessary.
The alternative walking routes to Oakwell include:
- Midland Street, Eldon Street and Schwäbisch Gmünd Way
- Kendray Street, Mayday Green, Cheapside, Wesley Street, Lambra Road, Pontefract Road, Grove Street
There will be no access for supporters via the Alhambra Centre or The Glass Works.
As part of the operation, the following changes will be in place at Barnsley Interchange, if needed:
- There may be no access through the Interchange, where the bridge between the bus station and the train station will be closed except for those with access needs, passengers with a valid train ticket or Buzz Bingo members with a valid pass/permit.
- Pedestrian access to and from the bus station will, as necessary, be via Eldon Street and Schwäbisch Gmünd Way.
- Access to the Interchange from Schwäbisch Gmünd Way will, as necessary, be for access to the railway station only, including being open for fans travelling to and from the game by rail.
- The existing temporary accessible route via Schwäbisch Gmünd Way and the transport interchange is available for those with access needs.
Supporters are reminded to use the designated and installed crossing points on the roads for their safety and the safety of other match-going fans.
Wheelchair users or supporters with pushchairs are advised to use the pavement/footway on the Court House side of Eldon Street during peak times to avoid congestion.
Fans are also advised to pay attention to road signs when travelling to and from the game.
To facilitate the access routes for Barnsley FC home matches, there will be associated partial and/or full closures of:
- Harborough Hill exit slip roads (diversion route via Harborough Hill/Westway or Harborough Hill/Old Mill Lane)
- Schwäbisch Gmünd Way
- Eldon Street North
- Mottram Street
- Pontefract Road beneath the Harborough Hill flyover
These will be in place from half-time until an hour after full-time for most matches.
Further closures may be necessary for certain fixtures. This will follow discussions between Barnsley FC, South Yorkshire Police, and the Council. Updates will be provided closer to the time.
A Barnsley Council traffic management contractor will manage the road closures. There are no immediate road closures around Oakwell.
For vehicle users:
- Vehicle access to the Metrodome is maintained via Wesley Street, Lambra Road, Pontefract Road and Bala Street.
- Vehicle access to Oakwell is maintained via Pontefract Road and Grove Street.
- Vehicle access to Buzz Bingo is via the open ‘Harborough Hill side’ of Schwäbisch Gmünd Way, with exit onto the downhill-side Harborough Hill entry slip road.
- There is no left turn from Regent Street other than for buses to access the bus station.
- Market Gate car park will be closed.
- The railway station car park will be shut, and customers will not be able to enter or leave during the closure times. Pick up and drop off will be available on Eldon Street North or Midland Street. Cars can park on Eldon Street for pick up - parking on the double yellow lines between Honeywell Street/Beckett Street and Schwabisch Gmund Way with the driver remaining in the vehicle.
- Where vehicle users approach a road closure, they will not be allowed access, and an alternative route will need to be used.
For a full list of Barnsley FC fixtures, please visit the club website. Please note all fixtures are subject to change.
More information on parking, including entering and leaving The Glass Works car park, can be found on our parking webpage.
Barnsley Council, Barnsley FC, Northern Railway and South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your continued patience.