Adult social care

Managing someone else’s affairs

Managing someone else’s affairs can mean a number of things. It can include looking after their bank accounts, claiming benefits on their behalf, or making decisions about their health and personal care.

There are a number of different ways that you can manage somebody’s affairs. This can include several types of lasting power of attorney.

What is a lasting power of attorney (LPA)?

An LPA allows you to set out in advance what you would like to happen if you become unable to make your own decisions.  An LPA is a legally binding document and there are two different types:

  • a property and financial affairs LPA is for decisions about finances. Things such as selling the person's house or managing their bank account
  • a health and welfare LPA is for decisions about both health and personal welfare. Things such as where to live, day-to-day care or having medical treatment.

Where to start

The Citizens Advice Bureau can tell you more about how to apply for lasting power of attorney. Find out more about all aspects of managing someone else’s affairs

You can also visit the GOV.UK website, where you can:

A lasting power of attorney must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian before it can be used.