Adult social care

If you or someone you care for is needing support to live independently, there's lots of community and voluntary groups across Barnsley that can help you in different ways. Find a service on Live Well Barnsley.

If you can't find what you need from a community group, you can contact us for a chat to find the best options to help you. This could include directing you to one of our partners who will be able to support your needs, or we could discuss a social care assessment.

If you have a social care assessment, we'll ask you about the things that are important to you and where you might need some support with your daily tasks. We'll also ask whether you have any support in place already, and then work out if you qualify for some help from us to arrange your care.

Social care assessments

Social care assessments help us to find out your support needs, such as help to get out of bed, make and eat meals, and move around safely.

Paying for your care

If you've had a social care assessment and qualify for some help, we'll look at your finances to work out how much you may need to pay towards your care and support.

Personal budgets

If your social care assessment shows you qualify for help from us to arrange and pay for your care services, we'll tell you how much money you're entitled to: your personal budget.

Arranging and paying for your own support

If you don't qualify for help from us, or don't want to tell us about your finances to check your eligibility, you can arrange and pay for care services yourself.

Personal assistants

A personal assistant (PA) can support you in your own home so that you can remain independent.

Help making decisions about your care

When making decisions about your care, you might find it useful to have an advocate to make sure you get the right care and support for you.

Hospital care and coming home

Information about going into hospital, and support when you're preparing to go home.


If you've been in hospital or had a period of illness and you need some help to live at home, you may be eligible for reablement support.

Assistive living technology

Technology to help you live independently at home, including telecare alarms, remote monitors and sensors.

Care homes

People may go into a care home when they're unable to remain independent in their own home. It may also be as a respite arrangement or to give your carer a break.

Paying for a care home

If living in a care home is the best way of meeting your needs, we'll assess how much you need to contribute towards the cost of this.

Recognised provider list (RPL)

The RPL is a list of care and support providers that follow a clear quality framework, meet a set of minimum standards, and provide a quality service.

Shared lives

Shared lives is where a carer opens up their home and family lives to include a young person or adult who needs extra support to live well.

The Care Act

The Care Act makes care and support more accessible, so people can get the care they need.

The Mental Capacity Act

The Mental Capacity Act protects the interests of vulnerable people who lack the mental capacity to make important decisions.