Adult social care

Mental health services

If you're having problems with your mental health you should speak to your GP.

Your GP may refer you to a NHS mental health service called the single point of access team. You may be offered an assessment and, if appropriate, short-term support or a referral to other mental health services. For more information see the single point of access team webpage or speak to your GP about a referral.


The improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT) service can help you get quick and easy access to the best type of aid. It will help you understand and learn to manage your symptoms. This includes anxiety, stress, low mood and depression.

The IAPT service can help with:

  • anxiety (generalised, social or health)
  • work-related stress
  • depression
  • body dysmorphic disorder
  • panic disorder (with or without agoraphobia)
  • obsessional compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • single event trauma resulting in post traumatic stress
  • phobias

You can self-refer to the IAPT service online. You can also call (01226) 644900.

If you're having problems managing activities of daily living you can self-refer to our adult social care team. You can call us on (01226) 773300.

Out-of-hours support

If you need support for your mental health outside of normal working hours you can:

There's also a mental health liaison team based at Barnsley Hospital. You need to attend A&E at the hospital to access this service.

Mental Health Act referral line

A Mental Health Act assessment is a formal assessment to find out whether someone’s mental health treatment can be managed in the community. If not, a formal admission to hospital will be needed.

If you need to make a referral for a Mental Health Act assessment please call (01226) 772448.

Support services

There are many groups available locally and nationally that can offer mental health support.

Local support services

  • Alright Pal? - the Alright Pal? campaign is all about starting the conversation around mental health and wellbeing as a first step towards suicide prevention.

  • Andy’s Man Club run free sessions where men over 18 can come together and offer each other peer-to-peer support. Visit the Andy's Man Club Barnsley Facebook page for more information.

  • Creative Minds run projects to develop people's mental, physical and psychological wellbeing.

  • Exchange Recovery and Wellbeing College on Gawber Road, Barnsley offers a variety of informal courses that are run in small groups and are open to anyone.
  • HumanKind - Barnsley Recovery Steps provide free and confidential support to help you to manage, reduce or stop your drug or alcohol use.

  • HumanKind - Umbrella - provide mental health and wellbeing support, counselling, the opportunity to share and support others in group work programmes, as well as support from people that have been in a similar situation to you.

  • Making Space is an independent organisation that supports carers and families of people having mental health issues.

  • Mind is a national charity with a branch in Barnsley, for people having difficulties with their mental health. They offer counselling, support groups and help to get back into work.

  • Samaritans of Barnsley offer a listening service as well as confidential support and advice about emotional wellbeing and mental health.

  • Team Talk is a mental health programme run by Reds in the Community, designed to support men’s mental wellbeing through peer support, sharing experiences, tips and better ways to cope.

National support services

  • Rethink Mental Illness offers help on a wide range of topics such as the Mental Health Act, community care, welfare benefits, and carers rights, as well as general information about living with mental illness, medication and care.

  • SANE is a national mental health charity offering an out-of-hours helpline (SANEline) for specialist emotional support, guidance and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including family, friends and carers.