Adult social care

What is a personal assistant (PA)?


If you’re finding it difficult to care for yourself because of your age, a physical or learning disability, or poor general health, you may want to get some support from a personal assistant.

A personal assistant (sometimes called a PA or a support worker) is someone who’s paid to help people who need social care support to enable them to live as independently as possible.

Many people choose to employ a PA because they need the consistent, ongoing support and familiarity that their own PA can provide.

How a personal assistant can help

PAs can offer you all kinds of support in your own home, including:

  • personal care - help with feeding, bathing and toileting
  • healthcare - catheter management, giving medication
  • help to live independently - meal preparation, cooking, health and safety cleaning, shopping
  • help to take part in social and leisure activities - taking you on holiday or to appointments, providing interest and activities
  • helping to look after children

Please leave us some feedback