Adult social care

Carer's assessment


A carer’s assessment is the way of working out whether in your role as an unpaid carer you're eligible for support from adult social care in accordance with the Care Act. The assessment is a chance for you to discuss how your caring duties affect you. Having a carer’s assessment means that you'll be contacted by a social care practitioner to look at what help you may need to support in your caring role.

You'll be entitled to an assessment whether or not the person you're looking after has had a Care Act assessment or is in receipt of support themselves from adult social care. If you and the person you're looking after agrees, a joint assessment of both your needs can be done at the same time. However, if you prefer, your carer's assessment can be completed separately.

Find out more about whether you're eligible for support in the Care Act.

How to get a carer's assessment

Call us on (01226) 773300 to start your carer's assessment, or if you want some more advice.

Following your assessment you may also be eligible to receive a personal budget to meet your assessed care needs.

If you're under 18 years of age you're considered a young carer and will be assessed by Children’s Services. This also applies to an adult who cares for a disabled child.

When assessing an adult’s needs for care and support we'll consider the situation of the whole family. This is to make sure that any young carers are identified and offered support from Children’s Services where they can.

Annual reviews

If you've had a carer's assessment an annual review of your carer support needs will be carried out, unless you inform us that you don't wish to have a review.

Contact us on (01226) 773300 if you have any queries about this.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions to carers 16 years or over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone with substantial caring needs.

You don’t have to be related to or live with the person you care for, but they must be in receipt of either:

Carer's Allowance can sometimes affect certain benefits that the person you care for receives. It's good to get proper advice before making a claim. You can speak to the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 587 0912.

For more information

Call us on (01226) 773300 or

Please leave us some feedback