Council tax support appeals

What to do if you think the decision on your claim is wrong

You should contact us to:

  • Ask us to explain it
  • Ask us to look at the decision again
  • Appeal to an independent tribunal to look at the decision

You can ask us to explain the decision on the phone by calling the benefits helpline.

There are time limits for asking us to look at the decision again, or for making an appeal. The time limit is normally one month from the date of the decision letter.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my support is correct?

If we make any decision about your claim for support, we will send you a decision letter that tells you when your support starts or changes, how it has been worked out and the amount of support you have been awarded.

You should always check your letters carefully to ensure that all the details are correct.

What should I do if I want you to look at the decision again?

You must write to us and tell us which decision you want us to look at again, tell us the date(s) on the notification letter(s) and give reasons why you think the decision is wrong.

If you have any evidence that supports the reason you think the decision is wrong you can send it to us with your letter.

When you write to us a different officer will look at the decision to see if it is correct. If we find that the decision is wrong we will change it and send you a letter explaining the new decision.

If the decision is considered to be correct we will send you a letter explaining why.

If you do not agree with our explanation and want to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal you have two months from the date of our letter to do so.

We have two months to deal with your dispute. If, after two months, you have not had a reply, you can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal.

What should I do if I want to appeal against the decision?

Before you appeal, you should have written to us, explaining what you disagree with in the decision about your council tax support, so that we can look at the decision again.

If you disagree with the decision, you have two months to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal from the date we send you a letter informing you that we have looked at the decision again.

Your appeal must be made to:

Council Tax Reduction Team
First Floor, Hepworth House
2 Trafford Court

A form is available on their website.

When you do this you must tell them what you are appealing against, the date on the notification letter and give reasons why you think the decision is wrong.

You may find it helpful to talk to a welfare rights organisation, such as the Welfare Rights Service.

If you send an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal you will be sent a form that you must fill in and return to them.

We are asked to look at the decision again, and if it is not changed then a tribunal hearing is arranged. More information about appeals to the Valuation Service can be found on their website.

After the tribunal hearing you will be given the tribunals decision. If the tribunal turn down your appeal you will be given information about what you can do next. If the tribunal accept your appeal the decision will normally be changed.

I have not made an appeal within the time limit allowed - what can I do?

You can appeal to the Valuation Service outside the time limit if there were reasons why you could not do this at the time. You need to tell them what the reasons are and provide any evidence that you have. They will then consider if you have good reason for not having appealled within the time limit. For more information please see  their website.

Who can make an appeal?

An appeal can be made by:

  • The person who applied for council tax support.
  • Someone who is appointed by the courts to act on behalf of the applicant.
  • Someone who we agree can act on behalf of the applicant.

I have been told I cannot appeal: What can I do?

Some decisions cannot be appealed against, for example the regulations that set out how we must assess entitlement to council tax support.

Have your say on changes to Council Tax Support

Please take 10 minutes to fill in this short questionnaire.

SOCITM Visit Counter