The local welfare assistance scheme helps people who are in financial crisis due to an emergency or other unexpected circumstances.
The scheme can provide:
- food from foodbanks
- household items for people setting up a new home after a period of living in an institutional setting, or following an unforeseen, unfortunate event
The current scheme has been adapted to also provide support for those whose financial situation has been affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).
Local welfare assistance is a discretionary scheme for people with no alternative support or assistance available to meet their needs.
Who can apply
To apply for assistance you must:
- be living in Barnsley and be a tenant, joint tenant or owner occupier of the address where you live
- be legally resident in the UK
- be aged 16 or over, have no one receiving child benefit for you and not be in full-time education
- not have enough resources to meet your immediate short-term needs
- have low household income of less than £16,400 a year, or receive one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Job Seekers Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- be experiencing financial hardship as a direct result of coronavirus (COVID-19)
The scheme will target people who:
- can demonstrate they don't have accessible money from elsewhere, such as savings
- haven't received financial assistance from another source for the same reason
- have lost their job due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
- have seen their employment situation change, and their income no longer covers their essential needs
- run their own business and cannot currently trade, or their business has been drastically reduced because of the pandemic
All applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Support you may be offered
- Referral to a foodbank
- Support towards daily living costs, utility bills and rent arrears
- Provision and replacement of essential white goods and furniture
- Advice and signposting to relevant agencies
How to apply
You can apply for the scheme using our online form below. We may ask you to provide evidence to support your application such as bank statements, payslips, Universal Credit journal entries and any other evidence we might think is necessary.
After filling in your application we'll contact you within two working days.
For more information about short term financial help please call (01226) 775577.