More Money in Your Pocket

Are you struggling to pay your electricity, gas, water or broadband bill, or are in arrears? There's support you can apply for, see what's on offer below. 

There are also energy saving tips as part of the Help for Households campaign.

Warm Homes Team

We know that this winter will be hard for many people, and our Warm Homes team are here to help.

Are you worried about paying your energy bills or struggling to keep your home warm? We can help by advising you on making your home warmer and cheaper to run.

We can provide:

  • Advice on how to improve your home with energy saving measures.
  • Help with forms for grants for heating and insulation.
  • Advice and signposting to other services including DIAL’s Warm Connections, Citizens Advice, Age UK and the Green Doctors.

Our Warm Homes team will be taking their drop in sessions to our libraries. This will run throughout the winter to provide advice and support to help you keep your home warmer this winter.

For more details, visit our warm homes webpage. You can get in touch with us by calling (01226) 773366 or emailing

Help with energy bills

Support from your energy supplier

If you're struggling to pay your energy bills, the first people to speak to are your energy provider. They may have help and support available to help you with your bills.  They may also be able to look at the payments you're making.

Citizens Advice Barnsley energy advisors

Citizens Advice Barnsley have dedicated energy advisors. They can help you with any issues and support you with your energy bills.

Fill in their online form to arrange an appointment or visit the Citizens Advice Barnsley website.

British Gas Energy Trust

British Gas Energy Trust are a charitable trust. They're set up to help families and people facing money problems and energy debt.

If you're struggling with your energy bills they may be able to help, no matter who your energy supplier is.


If you've a disability or long term condition and you're struggling to pay your energy bills DIAL can help. They can also help if you need or want to switch suppliers. DIAL have energy advisors who can offer one to one advice. They can help you with tackling fuel debt and reducing energy costs. They can help you with talking to your suppliers and applying for warm home discounts and other energy grants.

You can visit the DIAL website for more advice, or call on (01226) 240273. You can also email them at

Help with water charges

Help from Yorkshire Water

Yorkshire Water have several different schemes to help with water bills. They can help you to reduce or cap your bill. They also offer grants and debt repayment schemes.

Reduce the water you use

If you have a water meter there are tips to reduce the amount of water you use. This will help reduce the cost of your water bill. They also offer free water saving packs that can help.

Help with your broadband, mobile and landline

Social tariffs

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Some providers call them 'essential' or 'basic' broadband.

They’re delivered in the same way as normal packages, just at a lower price. Amid rising living costs, Ofcom are asking companies to offer social tariffs to help customers on low incomes.

Help with your mobile

Barnsley Libraries are working with the Good Things Foundation on an initiative called National Databank. They'll be giving out free SIMs and mobile data to local people living in data poverty.

The National Databank scheme is supported by UK mobile networks. This includes Vodafone, O2 and Three.

If you're a Barnsley resident and meet the criteria, you can register your interest to take part in the scheme. Find out more about the National Databank scheme.