Make your home warmer and cheaper to run

If you're worried about paying your energy bills, or you're struggling to keep your home warm, we can help by giving you advice on making your home warmer and cheaper to run.

We can advise you on:

  • improving your home with energy saving measures
  • energy bills and tariffs
  • energy debt

Fill in our online contact form to ask how we could help you.

You can also find out more below:

Grants available for free insulation and heating systems

There's a number of ways to improve your home to make it more comfortable, healthier and cheaper to live in. These could involve insulation to make your home energy efficient, upgrading the heating system, or even installing renewable energy measures.

Free gas central heating

We're currently offering free gas central heating systems to homeowners, and grants towards the cost of gas central heating to private landlords, whose homes currently lack gas central heating. 

If you’re a homeowner and on a low income, or a private landlord whose tenant is on a low income, and:

  • you don’t have a gas central heating system in your property
  • you have gas fires, electric storage heaters or coal fires as your main heating

then you could be eligible for a grant towards gas central heating, subject to eligibility and surveys.

To apply, contact us by filling in our online form below. The funding is available for a limited time only and will be given to those who apply first.

Free insulation and energy saving measures

Thanks to government funding, we're offering free insulation and energy saving measures to local residents.

The scheme is open to residents who live in a home which is not energy efficient and who have a household income of less than £30,000 per year.

You could qualify for:

  • Solid wall insulation
  • Loft insulation
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Underfloor insulation
  • Single glazing upgrades

Please note we are still taking applications for the scheme.

These energy saving measures are offered free of charge to eligible homeowners and council tenants. Private tenants are also welcome to apply, subject to eligibility and landlord contribution.

To apply, please contact us by filling in our online form below.

Boiler replacements

If you're on a low income, own or privately rent your home, and your gas boiler breaks or you don't have heating or hot water, we may be able to help you through our affordable warmth programme.

For more information, fill in our online contact form below.


Apply for energy bill discounts and benefits

We can see if you may be eligible for three heating-related benefits:

  • £140 discount on your energy bills with the Warm Home Discount Scheme.
    This should be paid automatically if you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit. Energy suppliers may also offer this discount to other people who receive certain benefits, are on a low income, or are elderly. To find out if you qualify you contact your energy supplier directly.

  • £100 - £300 contribution towards your energy bills with the Winter Fuel Payment.

  • Extra help if temperatures fall below a certain level with the Cold Weather Payment.

Pay less for the energy you use

If your energy bill is higher than usual, take a look at these common problems with energy bills on the Citizens Advice website. They also have a tool to help understand the different parts of your energy bill.

There are two kinds of gas and electricity meters. The type you have has a big impact on how much you pay for energy. They are:

  • pre-payment meter - you have to pay for energy before you use it, usually through a card or key at a shop
  • credit meter - you pay for energy after you’ve used it, usually via direct debit

Paying for your energy with prepayment meters often means you're paying a lot more for your energy.

Contact your energy supplier for more information on how to change your meter. If your current supplier charges a fee to change, consider contacting another supplier to see if they could offer you a free credit meter. 

Find out more about your rights regarding pre-payment meters.

Smart meters

Energy companies are currently offering their customers smart meters, with everyone due to be offered one by 2025.

Getting a smart meter may help you better understand how your home uses energy and help you save money, but you don’t have to accept it if you don’t want one.

You can find out more about smart meters on the Smart Energy GB website.

Get help with energy debt

We can offer you help with energy debt. Firstly find out about the common problems with energy bills and if you're responsible for the bill.

If you're responsible for the arrears but can’t pay them up front, try to make contact with your energy company as soon as possible. Before you call, write down your incoming and outgoings and work out how much you could afford to pay back as a repayment plan – making sure this amount is realistic. When speaking with your energy company make sure you tell them if you're on a low income or benefits, or if there's anyone in your home who is elderly, disabled or under five years of age.

Trusts and funds that can help clear energy debt

There are several energy trusts and funds which can help clear debt on fuel bills.

In some cases these trusts and funds can also provide payments to help with the cost of buying essential, energy-efficient household items. We can help you with applying for these; contact us using our online form.

Register for priority service from your energy supplier

You might be able to get extra support from your energy supplier by signing up to the priority services register if you:

  • are disabled or seriously ill
  • are recovering from an injury
  • have mental health problems
  • don’t speak or read English well
  • have children under 5, or are pregnant
  • have reached your state pension age
  • are in a vulnerable situation

Benefits of priority service can include free energy saving advice, a password protection scheme to protect you from cold-callers, your meter moved free of charge if it’s hard for you to use or read, and bills sent to a relative, carer or friend to help you check them. You might also get advance notice if your supply is going to be interrupted, priority re-connection if your supply is interrupted, and annual gas safety checks (subject to further eligibility criteria). Find out more on the Ofgem priority services register website.

To find out if you’re eligible to join the priority service register, speak to your energy supplier or contact us.

Where else you can get help

Contact us for advice using the contact form or phone number. We can help you with:

  • energy saving options for your home
  • access to insulation and boiler grants
  • help with fuel debt
  • keeping warm in winter

Follow our Facebook page to see updates, and read our keep warm and well this winter leaflet.

If you live in a council property you can find out more about energy efficiency on the Berneslai Homes website.

If you're living in private rented accommodation you can read more about what rights you have as a tenant. Landlords can also find out more about energy efficiency.

If you're a housing association tenant, contact your landlord directly for more information.

Council flexible eligibility – statement of intent

Under the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Regulations 2017-2018, local councils are able to set their own eligibility criteria for funding for energy efficiency works to private sector housing. This funding has to be aimed at those residents who are at the most risk of living in fuel poverty.

We're adopting two different approaches to determining which households are eligible for this funding, and details of these can be found in our flexible ECO statement of intent.

Please note that the final decision on whether funding is available to individual households will be made by the energy suppliers and is based on the following factors:

  • the survey carried out and installation costs
  • the energy savings that can be achieved by having the work done
  • whether suppliers have funding available at the time of application