Naming ceremonies are a very special way of welcoming a child into the family and the wider community. They are often an ideal choice for celebrating the birth of your baby or can be held for children of any age.
You can design your own unique ceremony. Some ideas you may wish to consider are:
- announcing the names that you have chosen and perhaps give the reasons for your choice.
- making promises to be as good a parent as you can, loving, encouraging and supporting your child into adult life.
- choosing other adults prepared to commit themselves to a special and supportive relationship with your child.
- involving your child's grandparents.
- having a souvenir record of the ceremony that is signed and presented on the day.
Arranging a naming ceremony
Our naming ceremonies can take place in any venue in the borough holding a public entertainment licence such as hotels, parish rooms/civic centres, function rooms etc.
All of the ceremonies are carefully planned taking into account your specific requirements, and are conducted by fully trained celebrants.
These ceremonies cannot have any religious content and have no legal status.
Any parent can organise a naming ceremony, regardless of their marital status.
For enquiries about naming ceremonies or to arrange a pre-ceremony meeting please contact Barnsley Registration Service.
Please see our fees page for details of charges.