Help if there's nobody to arrange a funeral

We have a statutory duty to arrange funerals for people who die within Barnsley, if they don't have any relatives willing to arrange the funeral. 

If there is sufficient money in the estate of the person who has died we'll use this to fund the funeral. This includes any savings, benefits or pension.  We will follow the wishes of the person regarding any religious beliefs, if they are known.  

We’ll search our records to trace any family graves for a burial.  If we don’t find any information we will arrange a burial or cremation. 

If we don’t find any funds from the estate of the person who has died, we’ll arrange a public welfare funeral through a local undertaker.  This is a simple funeral that doesn’t include any cars or flowers. For enquiries and further details please contact

If you are a relative of the person who has died and receive certain welfare benefits, you may be able to apply for help to pay for a funeral if there is not sufficient money left in their estate to cover the costs. You can read more about help to pay for a funeral.

Child Funeral Charity

The Child Funeral Charity can help bereaved parents of babies or children under the age of 16, with financial assistance and advice on funeral arrangements.  A professional working with your family can refer you to the charity for help, such as your funeral director, a nurse or bereavement counsellor.  You can find out more about the work of the Child Funeral Charity on their website.