Arranging a funeral

Arranging a funeral 

When someone dies, the Executor or the nearest surviving relative of the person will be responsible for completing the statutory paperwork and carrying out any wishes about funeral arrangements.  Please read about what to do when someone dies for further details. 

You must be a close relative of the person who has died to register a death.   You can find out more about registering a death and the documents you'll need here.  We use a scheme called ‘Tell us Once’ to inform other council and government services that a person has died, so you don’t have to contact them all yourself.  The registrar will explain how Tell us Once works when you register a death.  

Appointing a funeral director 

If you're making the arrangements for a funeral, you may wish to appoint a funeral director.  You can download a list of local funeral directors here.  Your funeral director can deal with collecting the deceased and will get the necessary medical certificates for you to register the death. 

They'll also make all the arrangements for the funeral, burial or cremation, and any religious service, that you choose.

The choice of funeral director is important, and it's a good idea to use a service that's been recommended to you. 

You can compare the prices charged by local funeral directors, and find out more about your options for arranging a funeral on the Funeral Choice or Beyond websites. 

Your funeral director should be a member of one of the following:

Please ask us if you want a list of the funeral directors operating in Barnsley. 

You don't have to appoint a funeral director.  If you're the Executor or the nearest surviving relative, you can arrange a cremation or a burial yourself. We can advise you how to do this.  

You can also purchase memorials and urns directly from us, regardless of whether you have appointed a funeral director to make your arrangements. We have an excellent range of items, and buying directly from us can save you money.  Please see our information about memorials at the crematorium, memorials at the cemetery and our price-list for burials, cremations and memorials for details.  

Civil funerals

A civil funeral is a non-religious service that's suitable for either a cremation or burial.  It's usually carried out by an official celebrant. You can find a local celebrant on the Institute of Civil Funerals website. 

Funerals abroad

You’ll  need to apply for permission from a coroner to move the body of someone who's died abroad for a funeral.  This applies to bodies moved to Scotland, Northern Island, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, as well as abroad.  There are no restrictions for bodies moved between England and Wales. 

You’ll need to give the coroner a form from the registrar.  The coroner will say when you can move the body abroad.  This will usually be after four days notice, but in some circumstances, for example for religious reasons, it can be sooner.

You can contact the Barnsley Coroner’s Office on (01226) 736031.

Paying for a funeral

If the person who's died didn't have a pre-paid funeral plan, or money in their estate to pay for the arrangements, the responsibility is with their next of kin to pay for the funeral.

If you're receiving certain welfare benefits, you may be entitled to a funeral payment to help to cover the cost.  You can read more about how to apply for a funeral payment on the Gov UK website. 

If the person who's died didn't have any close relatives, or they're unwilling to arrange a funeral, please read about getting help with funeral arrangements.

Child Funeral Charity

The Child Funeral Charity can help bereaved parents of babies or children under the age of 16, with financial assistance and advice on funeral arrangements.  A professional working with your family can refer you to the charity for help, such as your funeral director, a nurse, or bereavement counsellor.  You can find out more about the work of the Child Funeral Charity on their website.