You can now apply and pay online for copies of birth, death and marriage certificates.
We can only provide copy certificates for events that took place in Barnsley. If the event was registered in another place you'll need to contact the register office for that district.
You can order copies of certificates dated from 1837 up to the present day. If you want a copy of an earlier record please get in touch with our archives service, or call into the Experience Barnsley Museum.
We can't provide copy certificates for people that were adopted or for stillborn babies, you'll need to request these from the General Register Office.
Changes due to COVID-19 (coronavirus)
We've suspended our copy certificates service until further notice, in line with government guidance about reducing contact with the public.
Read more about the changes we've made to our registration services
Our phone lines are very busy, please only call us if you require a copy certificate urgently. We'll review requests on an individual basis.
Costs and collection of copy certificates
We offer a standard and priority service. Please see our registration charges page for certificate and postage costs.
If you order and pay for a certificate through our priority same day service before 12pm you can either:
- collect your order on the same working day between 2pm and 4pm
- ask us to send it by first class post (£1 charge within the UK)
If you use our priority same day service and pay for your order after 12pm you can either:
- collect your order on the next working day between 2pm and 4pm
- ask us to send it by first class post on the next working day (£1 charge within the UK)
How to apply
You can apply online for copy certificates using the form below if you have an email address.
When we've received your form, we'll send you an email to confirm that we can provide the certificate with a link to pay online for it. You can't pay over the telephone, or in the Register Office, for certificates you've ordered online.
If you’re a solicitor applying on behalf of a client, you’ll also need to apply online. We'll send you an email to confirm that we can provide the certificate with a link to pay online by card, or instructions to pay by BACS transfer.
Please click on the tabs below for more information:
What to include
Please complete all of the questions on the form to help us to find the certificate, and provide your contact details and an email address. You'll need to give us the following information:
for a birth
- the full name of the person
- the date of birth
- the place of birth (hospital or village)
- the name of the mother
- the name of the father (if it's recorded)
- the mother's maiden name (if you know it)
for a death
- the full name of the person who has died
- the date of death
- the place of death (hospital or village)
for a marriage/civil partnership
- the full name of each partner
- the surname at birth of each partner
- the date of the event
- the name of the church or venue where it took place
- the name of the village or town (if you know it)
Confirmation and payment
You'll receive an automatic confirmation email with your customer reference number when you've submitted your form.
We'll then check our records to make sure we have the certificate and send you a separate email with the fee and a link to our payment page.
We'll get back to you within:
- two hours (up to 5pm) if you've used our priority service
- two working days for our standard service
We'll email to ask you for more information if we can't find the certificate you've applied for.
We can't start to produce your copy certificate until you've paid for it.
If you've used our priority same day service you should pay for your order as soon as you receive the email.
You'll need to pay for your certificate online before we can process your order.
You can tell us in the form if you want to collect it from the Register Office, or receive it in the post.
You can collect your certificate between 2pm and 4pm, or we'll post it out to you first class:
- on the same working day if you've paid for it before 12pm
- on the next working day if you've paid after 12pm
Your certificate will be ready for collection, or we'll post it, five working days after we've received your payment. Your collection date will be shown on your confirmation email - please don't try to collect it before this date.