We're committed to helping businesses provide safe and healthy work places.
Depending on your main work activity either the council or the Health and Safety Executive will be responsible for enforcing workforce health and safety laws.
We're the enforcing authority for work places such as:
- private residential care homes
- consumer and leisure services
The HSE is responsible for businesses such as factories, construction sites farms and schools.
Our health and safety role
The work we do includes:
- investigating work related accidents, you can report an accident at work on the Health and Safety Executive's RIDDOR website
- responding to complaints
- providing advice and guidance
- registering businesses that carry out acupuncture, body piercing, ear piercing, electrolysis and tattooing
- registering cooling towers
- regulating sunbed use
- carrying out inspections
- enforcing health, safety, welfare and smoke-free legislation
- running campaigns to raise public awareness of important issues
Report a health and safety problem
If you have a concern about your workplace, please check the relevant authority first for your type of workplace:
- Use our online form below to report a health and safety problem to us.
- For work activities not enforced by us please contact the HSE.