Choosing childcare

Good quality childcare and early education isn’t just good for children’s attainment; research evidence show that it brings greater benefits to children’s all round development.

It gives parents more time to work, study, and volunteer, or prepare for employment. But juggling work and bringing up children can be a challenge. If you're struggling with this, you're not alone.

Finding good quality childcare can be a difficult task for parents. There are different types of childcare and lots of things to look out for. If you'd like to talk to someone about your options and find out what childcare's available in your area, Families Information Service can help.

We provide free and impartial information to parents and carers of 0-25 year olds on anything and everything to do with family life, including childcare. We help lots of people looking for childcare in their area and hold information about all Ofsted registered childcare.

Families Information Service can tell you:

  • about the different types of childcare
  • which childcare is available near to your home or work place
  • how to contact different childcare providers
  • about childcare costs
  • what support's available to reduce your childcare costs
  • opening times of childcare settings
  • the OFSTED inspection grade of all registered settings

Families Information Service can talk you through every part of you journey and answer any questions you have.

You can also look for OFSTED registered childcare by using our Family Service Directory.

Childcare costs

Childcare can be expensive, but there's help available towards the costs of childcare. The new Childcare Choices website provides information on the new and existing government childcare offers. 

Call Families Information Service to talk through the latest childcare schemes available to support your childcare costs.

Finding good quality childcare

Finding good quality childcare can be a big step for you and your child. There are lots of differences between types of childcare, early education or pre-school services. Individual childminders, nurseries, playgroups and out-of-school clubs also differ from one another.

Try to give yourself enough time to visit several childcare settings to get a good idea of what could suit your child. It can be a good idea to take your child with you to see how staff engage with them.

There are lots of things to look out for and to remember to ask when you visit a childcare setting.  This guide will help you prepare.

Childcare options

There are lots of different options to consider when choosing childcare.

It's up to you as parent or carer to choose what you feel is right for your family and child. Once you've decided what type of childcare you're looking for, check the Family Services Directory for details of all Ofsted register childcare.


Childminders are trained, self-employed, childcare practitioners who look after children in their own homes.

They're registered with Ofsted and both the childminder and their home are regularly inspected.

A childminder can work with up to two other childminders or childminding assistants. The exact number of children a childminder can care for is regulated by Ofsted. The maximum number one childminder can care for is six children that are under eight-years-old.

Childminders work across a range of hours. Do some exploring if your working day doesn’t fit the 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday pattern. or if you have children of different ages and you want them to be looked after together.

They often drop children off and pick children up from school.  Some childminders offer funded places alongside paying for childcare.

Day nurseries

Day nurseries are for children between the ages of six weeks and five years. Many offer out-of-school care for five to 11-year-olds.

Opening times are generally from 8am to 6pm on weekdays. They're open all year round during school holidays and offer flexible options. You can either have half or full day sessions over a few days, or a full week, term time only, or all year round. They offer funded places alongside paying for childcare

Out of school clubs

Out of school clubs are open before and after school and all day during school holidays.

They offer a quiet space for catching up with homework, as well as plenty of fun activities for children from three to 14-years-old (and up to 16 for children with special needs).

Some breakfast and after school clubs are linked to schools. They offer a variety of activities on top of the normal school day. These include things such as music, art, sport, or additional study support.

Some out of school clubs will drop off or pick children up from local schools. Talk to your child’s school to find out if they offer an out-of-school club

Nursery schools

Nursery schools offer funded places for children between the ages of three and five. They're open during school hours, normally only in term time, for full or half-day sessions.

Childcare for children with a special educational need or disability (SEND)

Good quality childcare is beneficial for all children. It can play a hugely important role in your child's development. It allows them to become independent, mix with other children, and to learn new things. But choosing the right childcare can be a difficult decision for every parent, particularly if your child has a special educational need or disability.

Check this useful guidance Childcare for Children with SEND 

If you're looking for childcare, Families Information Service can help.

The Local Offer is a way of giving information about childcare settings and how they support children and young people from birth to 25 years with a special educational need or disability (SEND).

Just look for the Local offer flash on the childcare record; It means the childcare setting record includes information on how they'll meet the needs of children with  SEND. The Local Offer is also part of the Family Service Directory.

Childcare brokerage

If, for any reason, you need help to find childcare, Families Information Service may be able to help. We can help find the right childcare for you and your family.

This could include:

  • getting an understanding of your childcare needs
  • looking at different childcare options and possibly contacting providers on your behalf
  • supporting you on a visit to a childcare provider to give impartial support and advice
  • working with other services to see what can be done if the provider needs training or support to offer the best possible care for your child

Families Information Service is completely impartial and never recommends one provider over another. We can't guarantee to find a solution to your childcare needs, but we'll explore every option with you. 

Ofsted role in quality childcare

Everyone wants the best quality childcare and education for their child. But how do you know what to look for?

Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. They inspect and regulate services that care for children and young people, and services providing education and skills for learners of all ages. Ofsted inspections check that a provider is meeting the national standards.

You can get a copy of a childcare provider’s latest report: