Make the most of your time at school
Your school years are some of the most important of your life.
They're a time for discovery and enjoyment. They're an opportunity to enjoy a range of experiences and unleash your passion for new and wonderful things.
Your time at school will fly by and you'll never get those years back. That's why you need to make the most of every day and grasp every opportunity that comes your way.
Gracy and George are children in care. They've sent us their tips, based on their experience in care, to help you get the most out of school.
If you've got some advice or information you want to share, just send it to us and we'll include it on this page.
Tips from George aged 9
- Work hard even when you don’t feel like it
- Ask for help when you don’t understand
- Your friends can encourage you
- Play with others - don’t stay by yourself
- Tell your friends calmly if they do something you don’t like – don’t shout
- Remember to do your homework
- Practise reading by reading about things you like
- Try new things – you don’t know if you can do it if you don’t try
- Tell your teacher if something's upsetting you
- Everyone has something they're good at
- Be kind to others and they'll be kind to you; say sorry when you need to
Tips from Gracy aged 15
- Look out for others – don’t get too self absorbed
- Seek out your learning mentor – don’t bottle things up
- Share you skills – you have more than you think
- Don’t be afraid to ask – there’s no such thing as a silly question
- Having a goal is really important
- It's OK to make mistakes
- Teachers are there to help
Your termly personal education plan
Your education plan is a really important document. It's based on what you need to help you do as well as you can at school.
Support for your learning
Your education is really important. We'll make sure you get the right support at the right time to help you get the best education you can.
Expectations for children in care
We take our role as your corporate parents very seriously.
That's why we have a list of what all our children in care can expect from us. This is to tell you how we'll care for you, make sure you get a good education, help you enjoy life and prepare you for the future. Children in care helped us to write these.
You can look at the expectations for children in care here, but we'll give you your own copy when you first come into care.