What it is and who it's for
The supported internship programme is a structured one-year study programme, based with an employer that's tailored to the needs of the young person taking the course. It's delivered by a partnership of an education provider, an employer and a job coach (provided by the education provider or Employment and Volunteering Service).
The programme is for young people aged 16-25 who have special educational needs and/or disabilities, who want to work, but need some support to move into paid employment. It equips you with the skills that you need for the workplace, including on-the-job training, and the opportunity to gain employability skills. If appropriate, you can work towards relevant qualifications. Both you and the employer will be fully supported by the job coach and education provider.
Meet some of Barnsley’s supported interns
You can see the kind of jobs and employers who are involved in supported internships in Barnsley below. These three interns have done incredibly well in their placements and are now going on to paid employment at their host companies.
Doing a supported internship has helped them to gain confidence and skills in the workplace and they're now going on to work independently.
Joe - admin assistant
Employed by Henry Boot Construction
“We are very pleased with Joe’s progress - he should be very proud of his achievement and we welcome him to the Henry Boot family.”
Megan - cafe assistant
Employed by Barnsley Norse
“Megan has been an asset to the team and it has been a truly rewarding experience as an employer to see her flourish in the work environment.”
Josh - retail assistant
Employed by Quality Save
"We feel that this has been a great benefit to the company and that more companies should be involved in doing so to improve opportunities for students.”
For employers who'd like to get involved
Would you like to:
- build local employer and educational relationships?
- employ a diverse workforce and experience benefits such as higher motivation, commitment and attention to detail in your team?
- lift the level of disability confidence, expectation and aspiration for young people with learning difficulties and disabilities?
If so, you can contact:
- firstname.lastname@example.org - Programme Manager at Barnsley College
- email@example.com - Employment and volunteering service
- firstname.lastname@example.org - Champion for Supported Internships at Henry Boot Construction
You can also read more about the supported internship programme here.