Preparing for adulthood

With support, most children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) can live a full and independent life. They can continue in education, find work and have a full and active social life.

When your child's in school year 9 (13 or 14 years old) we'll work with you to determine what help they need to support their longer-term goals and ambitions.

You can read more about how we help young people prepare for adulthood in our SEND Strategy.

Children's transition to adult social care services

If your child has continuing social care needs, we'll work with you to plan how we can support them in the future.

Your child will need an assessment. This will tell us whether they qualify for help with their care services when they become an adult. You can read more about how to get a social care assessment and what's involved. 

We also have a short leaflet for you to download about children's transition to adult care services.

Other sources of support 

Transition Information Network has some useful resources for parents and disabled young people. They cover things such as activities, housing, employment, money and participation.