Barnsley Music Education Hub is an active network of partners led by Barnsley Music Service. We work to deliver high quality music education for children and young people in Barnsley. We're also proud leaders of Barnsley Music Hub. We work with the music hub's partners to give children and young people the chance to learn a musical instrument.
The Music Service is based at The Civic, Hanson Street (Off Regent Street), Barnsley S70 2HZ. It's open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm. Ensemble and after school events take place every weekday evening from 4pm until late.
What we do
- Give high quality music education and support for 5-18 year olds in Barnsley.
- Inspire young people to sing and play a musical instrument.
- Develop young musicians' talent. We do this by offering the chance to perform at different levels.
- Promote and develop music in Barnsley through diverse partnerships.
- Enhance and develop life skills through music.
What we offer
We offer the following options, both in Barnsley schools and at the music centre.
- First access. This allows all children from age 5 to 18 the chance to learn a musical instrument. This is through whole-class ensembles that start at primary school.
- Small group tuition. Further develops children’s skill to play a musical instrument.
- Exams. Options for pupils to achieve a nationally accredited music grade.
- One to one lessons. A limited number of young people the option to have one to one lessons. These are also used to support higher graded exams.
- Ensembles in partnership with Barnsley Ensembles Hub. We offer a range of bands, groups and orchestras for all instrument families. This gives children the chance to play and perform from an early stage.
- Instrument loan scheme. For pupils receiving tuition, with discounts for those on low incomes.
- Performance/workshops. Regular concerts, master classes and workshops in a range of venues locally and nationally.
- Singing: This makes sure that every pupil sings regularly. Choirs and other vocal ensembles are available in the area.
- Continuing professional development (CPD). We offer CPD to school staff and support schools to deliver music in the curriculum.
Find out more by browsing the sections below.
- Violin, viola, cello and bass
- Guitar (acoustic, electric and bass)
- Flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone, bassoon, recorder
- Cornet, trumpet, flugel horn, tenor horn, french horn, baritone, euphonium, trombone and tuba
- Piano and keyboard
- Tuned and un-tuned percussion
If your child qualifies for scheme of aid and receives free school meals. They're also entitled to a group music lesson at a third of the normal price. They can also hire a instrument for free.
When your child reaches the required standard. The music service tutor will give them a letter to bring home. This will recommend the grade that they should be entered for.
The letter will contain all the details that you need to complete the correct online graded music exam entry form.
The forms will be only be open for you to complete during the booking period on your letter. It does include guidance to help you to complete it, but please call us if you are having any problems.
Orchestras, bands, choirs and ensembles
In partnership with Barnsley Ensembles Hub, the following events are offered:
|Wentworth Strings||Friday||5.30pm to 6.30pm|
|Stainborough Strings||Friday||4.20pm to 5.20pm|
|Oakwell Strings||Friday||4.45pm to 5.45pm|
|Barnsley Guitar Ensemble||Wednesday||6.15pm to 7.15pm|
|Barnsley Junior Guitar Ensemble||Thursday||5.15pm to 6pm|
|Barnsley Metropolitan Band||Wednesday||6.45pm to 9pm|
|Barnsley Town Concert Band||Monday||6.15pm to 8.15pm|
|Barnsley Junior Band||Wednesday||4.45pm to 5.45pm|
|Barnsley Intermediate Band||Tuesday||4.45pm to 6pm|
|Penistone Junior Band||Tuesday||3.45pm to 4.45pm|
|Barnsley Percussion Ensemble||Thursday||4.30pm to 5.45pm|
|Civic Fusion||Monday||5pm to 6pm|
All of these take place at Barnsley Music Service, The Civic, Hanson Street, Barnsley, S70 2HZ. Except Penistone Junior Band which takes place at Penistone St John's Primary School.
What our students say
Skye, a Barnsley Music Education Hub student says: "Playing a musical instrument has given me a huge boost in confidence. Also important skills for learning and studying. It's simply the best fun and so rewarding."