All councils are required by government to have a Schools Forum.
The Schools Forum acts as both a consultative and decision making body where schools can put forward their views to the council on matters such as:
- the allocation and distribution of funding
- supplies and services
- arrangements for special educational needs
- the use of pupil referral units
- free school meals
- the funding of early years provision.
The Schools Forum is made up of representatives from schools and academies, as well as other non-school organisations, such as nursery and 14-19 education providers.
You can take a look at our Local Guide to the Barnsley Schools Forum which includes it's constitution and terms of reference, together with further detail on how it aspires to discharge it's role and responsibilities under the Schools Forum (England) Regulations (2012).
Constitution and terms of reference
Virtual Meetings schedule 2021/22
Dates for the meetings of the School Forum during 2021/22 are as follows:
- Wednesday 20 January 2021 - 9.30am - agenda for 20 January 2021
- Friday 12 March 2021 - 9am - agenda for 12 March 2021
- Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 10am - agenda for 13 July 2021
- Thursday 21 October 2021 - 1pm
- Tuesday 14 December 2021 - 2pm
- Thursday 27 January 2022 - 1pm
- Thursday 17 March 2022 - 1pm
You can read minutes of previous meetings here.
Schools Forum members receive allowances for things like financial loss and travel. Full details are included in the Guidance on Allowances for Schools Forum Members.
Scheme for financing schools
The Scheme for Financing Schools document sets out the financial relationship between the council and maintained schools. It details the provisions schools are expected to adhere to along with recommended best practice. It is advised that any internal control (eg scheme of delegation) or procedure documents maintained by schools are reviewed and brought in line with the Scheme (where it is appropriate and there is a clear reference or link to the scheme).