Council Tax discounts

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to get a discount on your Council Tax bill.

Your bill is based on two or more adults (aged 18 or over) living in your home. However, some people aren’t counted when we look at how many adults live in a property to see if a discount applies. Please see our list for details of the people we don't count.

People who aren’t counted

  • Full time students and student nurses
  • Foreign language assistants
  • Anyone aged 18 or over who's still eligible for Child Benefit
  • A student’s spouse or dependent who isn’t a British citizen
  • Patients permanently living in a hospital or residential home
  • Occupants under the age of 20 who are at or have just left school or college (after 30 April until 1 November)
  • Anyone who normally lives in the home but is in prison or hospital by order of a court. This could also be if they're detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 or under the deportation provision of the Immigration Act 1972.
  • Youth trainee or apprentice
  • Religious communities
  • Carers and care workers
  • Diplomats
  • Anyone with a severe mental impairment
  • Anyone staying in hostels or night shelters who doesn't have a permanent home
  • Visiting forces
  • A Ukrainian national who holds permission to enter or stay in the UK granted under the Homes for Ukraine sponsorship scheme

Apply for a Council Tax discount

Find out if you may qualify for a discount and how to apply.

Single person discount 

The full Council Tax charge is based on two adults living in your home. The bill doesn’t increase if there are more than two people. 

If you live in a property on your own, you can apply for a single person discount to your Council Tax bill. This will reduce it by 25%.

Student discount

Only full time students and student nurses can apply for a student discount.

To qualify as a student you must be either: 

  • Aged 18 or 19 and on a course up to A level or BTEC National Diploma standard, This must be for at least 12 hours a week.
  • Taking a full-time course of further or higher education at a university or college. This must be for at least 21 hours a week.
  • A nurse studying under Project 2000 arrangements.
  • A foreign language assistant registered at the Central Bureau for Education Visits and Exchange. You also need to be appointed at a school or other education setting.

To qualify as a student nurse you must be:

  • On a course which will (if passed) lead to you becoming a registered nurse, midwife or health visitor.

Fill in our online form to apply for a student discount. You'll need to send us a copy of your student certificate confirming your course. You can ask for one of these at your college or university. You'll need to upload your certificate using our evidence form. We need to see this before we can award the discount.

Care leavers discount

Barnsley care leavers are entitled to 100% Council Tax discount. You can get this discount even if you don't live in the Barnsley area. The 100% discount will apply until you become 25.

A care leaver is defined as someone who:

  • has been in care for a period of at least 13 weeks, which began after their 14th birthday; and
  • was in care for some time after their 16th birthday

Find out more in our Council Tax discount for care leavers policy.

Disability discount

If you've had to adapt your home because someone living there has a disability, you may be able to get a Council Tax discount. 

See if you can apply on our Council Tax band reduction for disabled people webpage.

Severe mental impairment (SMI) discount

For Council Tax purposes, a person with SMI is someone who has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent. It can include those suffering from Alzheimer's disease, a stroke and similar illnesses.

To qualify for an SMI discount the person must be entitled to one of the following:

  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Any rate of the daily living activity care component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • The care component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), payable at either the middle or the highest rate
  • An increase in the rate of their disablement pension due to the need for constant attendance
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Unemployability Supplement
  • Income Support where the applicable amount includes a disability premium
  • Constant Attendance Allowance or Unemployability Allowance under:
    • Article 14 or Article 18 respectively of the Personal Injuries (Civilians) Scheme 1983; or
    • Article 14 or Article 18 respectively of the Naval, Military and Air Force etc (Disablement and Death) Service Pensions Order 1983

Read more about Council Tax discounts for people with SMI.

You can fill in our online form to apply for this discount. You'll also need to provide proof the person receives of one of the listed benefits. You can upload this using our evidence form

After applying we'll write to the person's GP to confirm if they're eligible for the discount and from what date.

Structural and major repairs discount  

If your property is unoccupied and unfurnished, you can apply for a 25% discount for up to 12 months.

The property needs to be having, or have already had, structural changes or major repairs.

If you're repairing but not replacing items you might not be able to get the discount. Examples of works that may qualify include the following:

  • Structural repairs:
    • A defective roof.
    • Internal or external supporting walls.
    • Floor joists and staircases.
    • Chimney stacks.
    • Foundations (including underpinning).
    • Rebuilding external walls, eg to extend the property.

  • Major repairs:
    • Gutting the property – including removing most internal walls.
    • Removing timber walls.
    • Removing plaster from all walls.
    • Taking most of the ceiling down.

You won't get a discount for any of the following work. This is unless it's part of other structural or major repairs: 

  • Replacing bathrooms or kitchens.
  • Damp proofing.
  • Plastering small parts of the property.
  • Pointing small parts of the property.
  • Replacing tiles or repairing only part of the roof.
  • Rewiring or replumbing.

You can fill in our online form to apply for this discount. You’ll also need to send us proof of any works, such as invoices and photos. You can upload these using our evidence form

Annex or self contained flat discount

If you live in an annexe or self contained flat and you're related to the person who lives in the main house, you can claim a 50% reduction in your Council Tax. Please note, the annex or flat must be part of a main property to qualify.

Homes for Ukraine discount

If a property is solely occupied by relevant Ukrainian person(s) who have come to the UK under the Homes for Ukraine scheme, they will be disregarded for Council Tax purposes. As such, the Council Tax bill will be reduced to 50%.

You can fill in our online form to apply for this discount. You’ll also need to upload evidence of the Homes for Ukraine visa for each occupier using our evidence form.

Contact us online if you need more information about Council Tax discounts. You can also find other ways to contact us.