Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for adult social care services


Health and social care staff working face to face with members of the public who may be clinically extremely vulnerable are advised to have their COVID-19 vaccination. You can book online to have a coronavirus vaccine or visit a walk-in vaccination site.

You can also call 119 to book an appointment for your vaccination.

Booster vaccines

A booster dose of the coronavirus vaccine helps improve the protection you have from getting seriously ill from COVID-19. Find out about booster doses on NHS.UK, including who's eligible for a booster, when you should have this, and booking an appointment.

Infection prevention and control in adult social care services 

The infection prevention and control: resource for adult social care provides guidance about infection prevention measures. This should be followed alongside the supplementary section on adult care homes: infection prevention and control in adult social care: COVID-19 supplement.

You can also read the letter sent to adult social care services in March 2022 about the updated infection prevention and control guidance.

Personal protective equipment (PPE) is still available free of charge for a range of adult social care services through the PPE Portal. Read about how to order COVID-19 personal protective equipment (PPE).

Testing for coronavirus (COVID-19)

From 4 April 2022 adult social care staff and residents should be managed as per the COVID-19 testing in adult social care guidance. All previous guidance for settings will be withdrawn. This guidance for testing in adult social care applies to:

  • care homes
  • homecare organisations
  • extra care and supported living services
  • adult day care centres
  • personal assistants
  • shared lives carers
  • social workers

Social care staff working face to face and/or in high-risk settings should conduct two LFD tests per week, taking them before they begin work, spaced three to four days apart. This also applies to staff who provide care and support to the individual they live with, for example, live-in carers.

Tests can be obtained through organisational routine testing processes using your unique organisation number (UON): order coronavirus tests for your organisation. For staff who don't already have an established organisational testing process, they can order testing kits for themselves on GOV.UK without needing a UON: order coronavirus rapid lateral flow tests.

The guidance doesn't require service users using/visitors to adult social care services to be tested.

If you have any difficulties ordering testing kits please phone 119.

Outbreak management

Outbreaks (two or more positive cases in the same service) should be reported to the UKHSA Yorkshire and Humber Health Protection Team:

Health protection teams (HPT) provide specialist public health advice and operational support to NHS, local authorities and other agencies.

For more information

If you work in social care and have any questions about COVID-19 and vaccination you can email us at