Incontinence can be uncomfortable, embarrassing and upsetting. It's a common problem and is thought to affect millions of people worldwide.

Urinary incontinence affects both men and women, but it tends to be more common in women overall, especially as they get older. 

How to get help

If you, or the person you care for, has urinary or bowel continence problems, ask your GP, district nurse or health visitor for advice about different forms of treatment.

They can help to diagnose the cause of your incontinence and tell you what services and support are available. You may benefit from using incontinence products, such as pads, or from medication. There are also a number of different surgical techniques you could consider.

Your GP can also refer you to a continence adviser.

For further help please contact your doctor, who may refer you to a continence adviser at Apollo Court, High Street, Dodworth, Barnsley, S75 3RF. Find out more about the continence service.