The symptoms of COVID-19 and other respiratory infections (such as cold or flu) are very similar. These types of infection can spread easily between people.
There are things we can all do to help reduce the risk of catching the virus and passing it on to others. These actions also help to reduce the spread of other respiratory infections.
Symptoms and what to do
- COVID-19 symptoms
- How to look after yourself at home if you have COVID-19
- Long-term effects of COVID-19 (long COVID)
Most people can't get COVID-19 tests free of charge. If you want to get tested you need to pay for a COVID-19 test yourself. You can buy tests from some shops and pharmacies, in person or online.
Some people may be able to get free COVID-19 tests from the NHS. Find out who can get a free COVID-19 test on NHS.UK.
How to reduce the spread
- How to avoid catching and spreading COVID-19
- Advice for attending school if children have symptoms of a respiratory infection
- Reducing the spread of respiratory infections in the workplace
The COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective. They give you the best protection against COVID-19. Find out about COVID-19 vaccination.