The Council provides a Gypsy and Traveller site at Smithies Lane, off Wakefield Road, on the fringe of Barnsley town centre. There are currently 30 pitches on the site.
The Smithies Lane site is managed by Berneslai Homes on behalf of the Council. If you would like to enquire about accommodation on the site contact Berneslai Homes by calling 01226 771260.
In addition to the Smithies Lane Site there are a small number of privately owned sites. The development of new Gypsy and Traveller sites or the expansion of existing sites will require planning permission before works can start. More information on planning requirements here.
Managing Unauthorised Gypsy and Traveller Encampments
Unauthorised encampments are problematic in that they rarely provide an appropriate or adequate setting for accommodation. They frequently result in poor living conditions for Gypsies and Travellers and an inconvenience to the local communities in which such encampments arise. In addition, the land that has been occupied is being trespassed upon which will almost always be contrary to the wishes of the land owner. For all of these reasons the Council is obliged to manage unauthorised encampments.
To report the presence of an unauthorised encampment during normal working hours you should contact the Gypsy and Traveller Liaison Officer by phoning 01226 773555 or by email to GypsyandTravellerenquiries@barnsley.gov.uk
To report the presence of an unauthorised encampment contact the South Yorkshire Police using the 101 non-emergency number and/or during normal working hours contact The Gypsy and Traveller Liaison Officer on 01226 773555.
You can find our procedure for dealing with unauthorised encampments here.
- Gypsy and Traveller Sites (Berneslai Homes) provides information on what a Gypsy and Traveller site is and how to apply to use a site.
- Planning Permission: Development Control Department (Development Management) will help you determine if planning permission is required for a development or a change of use, will assist you in submitting your planning application and provide information about the planning process.
- BMBC Licence: Caravan Site provides information on planning permission for a caravan site.
- Ethnic Minority Achievement and Traveller Education Service service helps Children's Services to respond to the changing profile of needs of minority ethnic, Gypsy and Traveller children and young people across the borough.
Other Local Authorities
- Sheffield Council: Traveller Services provides contact details and reports regarding Gypsy and Traveller sites in the Sheffield area.
- Wakefield Council: Traveller Services provides contact details and reports regarding Gypsy and Traveller sites in the Wakefield area.
- Rotherham Council Gypsy and Traveller Information Provides contact details regarding Gypsy and Traveller sites in the Rotherham area
- Doncaster Council: Traveller Services provides contact details regarding Gypsy and Traveller sites in the Doncaster area.
Department for Communities and Local Government
- Gypsy and Traveller Site Design sets out good practice in respect of the design of Gypsy and Traveller sites.
- Local Authorities and Gypsies and Travellers: A Guide to Responsibilities and Powers focuses on the Government's objective that Gypsies and Travellers and the settled community should live together peacefully.
- Guide to Effective use of Enforcement Powers - Unauthorised Encampments This document is intended for elected officials and others in the community who have an interest in how unauthorised camping by Gypsies and Travellers is managed in their area