Housing schemes for older people

Older people's housing gives you the best of both worlds – it helps you to live independently within a secure environment and gives you the opportunity to join in with social and community activities if you wish.

Berneslai Homes has a range of independent living schemes which are suitable for older people and managed by centre managers. Some of the schemes have accommodation all under one roof and others consist of bungalows with a community centre nearby. The schemes offer a range of social activities.

Extra care housing

Extra care housing schemes are owned and managed by housing associations and provide a variety of facilities which can include:

  • laundry
  • communal lounge and kitchen
  • security and safety features
  • guest bedroom
  • district heating

There's a scheme manager who's on site for a limited number of hours each week and can provide you with information and advice about social activities and events that are taking place. The scheme manager is also responsible for the management of the building and will carry out regular inspections of the communal areas.

If you’re finding it difficult to manage in your current accommodation, but want to maintain your independence, this type of housing could be ideal for you.

There are extra care housing schemes in:


Managed by



Lavender Court 

Together Housing

44 one and two-bedroom apartments in the core building

8 two-bedroom bungalows, all for rent

(01226) 245037


South Yorkshire Housing Association

50 two-bedroom apartments, 42 for rent and 8 for Homebuy shared ownership, all in the core building

7 bungalows adjacent to the scheme

(01226) 702030

Cherry Tree Court 

Together Housing

60 apartments with two bedrooms, all for rent

(01709) 890155

Fitzwilliam Court 

Guinness Northern Counties Housing Association

47 two-bedroom apartments

4 two-bedroom apartments for shared ownership

1 one-bedroom apartment

(01226) 743215

Apply for extra care or older person's housing

You must be 55 years or over and have an assessment by social services to make sure you qualify to live in extra care housing. Find out more about having a social care assessment and what's involved.

Anyone can apply for older person's housing that's not an extra care scheme if they're over 60. 

Visit the Berneslai Homes website for more information.