Land and property available to buy or rent

We own a range of land and property, some of which is available to rent or buy. Properties can include shops, offices and industrial units. See our land and property to let or for sale on Rightmove.

Each year we get many applications to buy council-owned land. A large proportion of these relate to open space or highway landscaping next to an applicant’s property. Others are from builders or developers who are interested in buying plots of vacant land for house building. If you're interested in a piece of land or property you can contact us online.

We also own land that we let for grazing or garden purposes. See our webpage about using our spaces for more details.

Land and property map

Authority land and property map

View full-screen map

Policy for applications to purchase

All applications are initially assessed to give an estimate of likely disposal value. Please note that our policy now states that land isn't sold for less than £5000.

Applicants that don't wish to proceed on this basis may be offered another tenancy agreement. This is depends on circumstances of each case. These tenancy agreements will be at pre-determined plot rents as follows:

  • plots up to 50m² annual rent £150 payable by direct debit or standing order
  • plots from 50-100m² annual rent £200 payable by direct debit or standing order
  • plots from 100-200m² annual rent £250 payable by direct debit or standing order
  • plots in excess of 200m² will be considered on application

If the applicant still wishes to progress their application after the initial assessment has been made a non-refundable administration charge of £100 is payable at this point. Should the application be successful, our fees will be reduced by £100 on completion of the sale.

For all sales, the applicant will need to meet the cost of our professional fees in addition to the purchase price. The applicant will also have to meet the costs of employing their own professional adviser, usually a solicitor.

In most instances, the applicant will need to get planning consent for a change of use before they can acquire the land. The applicant will be responsible for the payment of all costs associated with making the planning application.

Applications to purchase public open space won't be considered. The sole exception is where an applicant is an adjoining commercial organisation or business. Their proposal would also have to be linked to job creation or wider socio-economic benefits. The application may then be considered further.

Property auctions

Regular property auctions are held during the year with Mark Jenkinson and Son (Sheffield) and Lambert Smith Hampton (London). You'll find details of forthcoming auctions and available land and property on their websites.

Applying to buy your council house 

Please read the information here about applying to buy your Berneslai Homes property under the Right to Buy Scheme.

Land and property we don't own

We don't hold details about land and property we don't own. See the Land Registry website for information about these.