Track betting licences

To provide facilities for betting at a track you'll need a licence.

This licence does not permit the licence holder to provide casino, bingo or other types of gambling on tracks. These activities are the subject of separate premises licences.

The Gambling Act 2005 defines a track as: A horse racecourse, greyhound track or other premises on any part of which a race or other sporting event takes place or is intended to take place.

There are a number of other venues where sporting events do or could take place. These places could include betting facilities. Examples of tracks include:

  • a horse racecourse
  • a greyhound track
  • a point-to-point horse race meeting
  • football, cricket and rugby grounds
  • an athletic stadium
  • a golf course
  • venues hosting darts, bowls or snooker tournaments
  • a premises staging boxing matches
  • a section of river hosting a fishing competition
  • a motor racing event

For information relating to the Gambling Act 2005 and track betting, please contact us.