Apply for a premises licence

To carry out 'licensable' activities from premises you'll need to apply for a premises licence.

Under the Licensing Act 2003 these licensable activities are:

  • the retail sale of alcohol;
  • the provision of regulated entertainment;
  • the provision of late night refreshment.

The legislation (the Licensing Act 2003) provides a clear focus on four statutory objectives, which must be addressed when licensing functions are undertaken. These are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Who can apply

Any person (aged 18 or over) who is carrying on, or who proposes to carry on, a business which involves the use of premises (any place including one in the open air) for licensable activities can apply for a premises licence. This can be for a permanent basis or for a time limited period.

A person in this context can be:

  • an individual
  • a business 
  • a partnership
  • a charity
  • a hospital
  • a school

Under the Licensing Act 2003, premises can be any place including:

  • a building
  • a moveable structure
  • an open space
  • a vehicle or vessel.

It is important to note that unless application forms are correctly completed and are accompanied by the relevant fee and supporting documents, the application may be rejected.

Before you apply

Please read the premises licence supporting documents and information to  find out what's required of you as part of your application and what you'll need to provide for your licence. This includes descriptions and definitions of:

  • the operating schedule
  • the plan of the premises
  • responsible authorities and list of responsible authorities
  • regulated entertainment
  • late night refreshment
  • mandatory conditions
  • advertising
  • content of notice (for premises display and advertisement in local paper) 

How to apply

An application for a premises licence must be made to the Licensing Authority for the area in which the premises is situated. You can apply online or in writing.


Applications and credit/debit card payments can be made using the UK Welcomes webpage on the GOV.UK website:

By Post

Postal applications may be made by sending a completed form, along with any accompanying documents:

Return your application to:

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG

Please ensure you enclose a cheque for the correct amount, made payable to Barnsley MBC. Your application will not be considered to be valid without receipt of the necessary payment.

Your application must include:

Licensing fees

All fees under the Licensing Act 2003 have been set centrally by the government. Please view the page Licensing Act 2003 Fees to find out how much your application will cost you.

What happens next

Please read the premises licence approval process for further information about how all applications and changes are processed, including:

  • representations
  • mediation
  • hearing
  • appeal
  • determination

Responsible Authorities

The Responsible Authorities have 28 consecutive days to consider the application served upon them.

These are public bodies that must be fully notified of applications and that are entitled to make representations to the Licensing Authority in respect of the application. All representations made by Responsible Authorities are relevant representations if they concern the effect of the application on the licensing objectives. See a list of the Responsible Authorities.

When serving the application on the Licensing Authority, the applicant should simultaneously serve copies of the application and the plan on all relevant Responsible Authorities. The application is not valid until this has been completed.

If the application is made online, the Licensing Authority will, within one working day, serve copies on all relevant Responsible Authorities on your behalf.

Members of the public

Members of the public also have a 28-day period within which to consider making a relevant representation.

The Council will hold a hearing where valid objections or representations from  Responsible Authorities, or any other person, whether or not they live or have a business in the vicinity, are received:

A representation is not relevant if it does not directly relate to the application and to the promotion of one or more of the licensing objectives

Representations can be negative (objection) or positive (in support) of the application and must be made in writing or by email (see Contact Information below).

Where no objections or relevant representations are made by Responsible Authorities or the public, the Licensing Authority must grant the Premises Licence on the 29th consecutive day subject only to the Mandatory Conditions* and the Operating Schedule.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies for this licence. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Licensing Authority by the end of the target completion period of 60 calendar days.

However, if relevant representations are received, the Licensing Authority must hold a hearing and consider the representations, unless successful mediation has occurred.

The timescales for processing an application do not start until all the necessary information has been received in full. 
Tacit consent will only apply to applications that are submitted electronically via the GOV.UK website, or when the applicant can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

Trade associations

ALMR - Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers
BECTU - Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union
FLVA - Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations


If you want to make a complaint about a licensed premises, please contact us. See also Review of a Premises Licence.