Designated premises supervisor (DPS)

In every premises licensed for the supply of alcohol, a personal licence holder must be specified as designated premises supervisor (DPS).

The DPS will normally be the person who has day-to-day responsibility for running the premises.

In the event that the designated premises supervisor changes, the premises licence must be varied to show the new DPS. It's important that the licensing authority and police are notified of this change as soon as possible. The new DPS must also consent to this variation.

Fees and charges

The fee to vary a designated premises supervisor is £23 and this must be submitted with the application.

How to apply

An application to vary a DPS must be made to the licensing authority for the area in which the premises is situated. The applications must be accompanied by:

  • the premises licence or, if that is not practicable, a statement of the reasons for the failure to provide the licence
  • a consent form from the proposed DPS to show that they consent to taking on this responsible role. (If the application is made online, the consent may also be given online.)

Only one DPS may be specified in a single premises licence. Where there are frequent changes of supervisor, the premises licence holder may submit the form in advance, specifying the date when the new individual will be in post and the change will take effect.

The applicant must give notice of the application to the Chief Officer of Police for the police area in which the premises are situated, and to the existing DPS (if there is one). You can apply online through the GOV.UK website or by post.

If the application is made online the licensing authority will, within one working day, serve copies on all relevant responsible authorities on your behalf.


You can apply and pay online on the GOV.UK website. You'll need to download a copy of the application form and fill this in using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

You'll also need to upload any accompanying documents.

By post

You can apply by post by sending your completed application form to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as DPS and consent to be specified as the DPS, along with any accompanying documents, to: Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG.

Please make sure you enclose a cheque for the correct amount, made payable to Barnsley MBC. Your application isn't valid without the inclusion of the necessary payment.

What happens next

The variation DPS will come into immediate interim effect as soon as the licensing authority receives it, until it is formally determined or withdrawn. This is to ensure that there is no interruption to normal business at the premises.

The Chief Officer of Police has 14 days, beginning with the day on which they are notified, to consider the application. They can either:

  • object to the designation of the new premises supervisor where, in exceptional circumstances, they believe that the appointment would undermine the crime prevention objective as set out in the Licensing Act 2003; or
  • raise no objection to the application.

The total timescale for determining an application for variation of DPS (no objection received) is expected to be no more than 21 consecutive days, commencing with the correct receipt of the application paperwork (including the Chief Officer of Police) and the associated fee. In this situation, the licensing authority has to grant the variation of DPS.

Please note, tacit consent applies to this licence.

Please read the premises licence approval process for further information about how all applications and changes are processed, including:

  • tacit consent
  • representations
  • mediation
  • hearing
  • appeal
  • determination

DPS request to be removed from premises licence

For a variety of reasons there may be circumstances when a DPS decides to leave a premises selling alcohol by retail and no longer wishes to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. Until the premises licence has been varied to specify a new DPS, any sale or supply of alcohol would be unlawful.

We recommend that the departing DPS completes the removal request form on GOV.UK, a copy of which is sent to licensing authority. We also recommend giving a copy to the premises licence holder, informing them that they have left the premises and they no longer authorise the sale of alcohol.