We're responsible for issuing taxi driver licences. The licences are dual, meaning that you will be able to undertake both private hire and Hackney Carriage work.
How to apply
You can apply for a licence if:
- you're aged 19 or over;
- you've held a full driving licence for a period of not less than 12 months; and
- we're satisfied that you're a fit and proper person to hold such a licence.
You'll need to complete the following:
- licence application form
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (read more below)
- medical questionnaire*
- character reference form
- Blue Lamp Trust or Taxi Driving Solutions driving assessment and written theory test (see details below)
* Medical not required for HGV / PSV holders. You'll need to show your current driving licence as proof.
You can either post or hand in your application to:
- The Licensing Duty Office, West Gate Plaza, 1 West St, Barnsley S70 2DR.
Our opening hours are 1.15pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday. You will need to telephone to make an appointment if you want to speak to an officer.
You may be required to appear before our Licensing Regulatory Board, if there is any doubt as to your fitness to hold a licence, like criminal convictions.
The following documents will help you with your application:
- check list for new drivers
- guidance notes for private hire and Hackney Carriage drivers
- driver policy on convictions
- theory test guidance
- list of fees
- guide to medical standards of fitness to drive
You can book a theory test at the Licensing Duty Office, West Gate Plaza, 1 West St, Barnsley S70 2DR and pay the relevant fee.
You'll need to make an appointment to visit this office. Please call (01226) 773555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All cancellations are non-refundable and if you fail a theory test you must pay another fee to re-sit the test.
DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service check)
You'll need a DBS check to get a licence and you can make an appointment with the council's DBS Checking Service to ensure someone is available to complete the form for you.
To make an appointment phone 01226 773428. Appointments are available Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
The fee for an enhanced DBS check is to be paid at the time of making the application. You must take proof of your national insurance number, address, driving licence (both parts) and a valid passport, if you have one.
Driving tests are conducted through the Bluelamp Trust and Taxi Driving Solutions.
Taxi Driving Solutions are able to offer the standard Taxi assessment as well as offering the enhanced Taxi assessment – this includes a wheelchair exercise. Bookings can be made online, by telephone on 01423 298398 or text message. Text ‘Taxi Bookings Barnsley’ to 07472 438072 and a member of their team will get back to you.
Dual Driver Licences (combined hackney carriage & private hire driver) are available for either a 1 year period or a 3 year period.
The application fee for a 1 year licence is £137, while the fee for a 3 year licence is £221.
You can pay by credit/debit card at our Licensing Duty Office or by telephoning 01226 773843. We accept all credit and debit cards, apart from American Express and Diners.
A taxi drivers' licence does not allow you to drive a minibus with more than 8 seats. You'll need a PSV licence for this.