Contact us with a media enquiry
The media desk is open for enquiries from 8.45am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and until 4.30pm on Friday.
If you’re not a journalist and have a general enquiry about council services please contact us here
We advise our officers, who are directly approached by a member of the media, to not answer questions themselves; but refer you to the communications and marketing team who will manage the response.
We’ll not normally comment on leaks, anonymous allegations or allegations about individual staff.
We’re open and accountable and will explain if there’s a reason why we cannot answer a specific enquiry.
How we can help each other
- Never email if you have an urgent enquiry. Emails can be delayed or deleted by security software; people can be in meetings or unexpectedly unable to access emails; or there may be IT problems.
- Simple, factual queries will be dealt with by the Communications and Marketing team without reference to other officers or Cabinet members.
- Provide us with as much information as possible, as early as possible, as this gives us the best chance to deal effectively with your query. The more complex or time-consuming the request - the longer we need. (If in doubt, call us at an early stage.)
- Give us time to answer your query. We often have to get background information, check facts with various parts of the council or with other organisations, and seek approval for lines from officers and councillors.
- Tell us if your story changes as early as possible so we can deal with that in our response. It may be difficult to adapt to last-minute shifts in the story angle, especially late in the day or if colleagues have already dropped other pressing work to deal with the original response.
- Tell us if your story is held or dropped, otherwise council colleagues could be prioritising that over other work that they ought to be doing.
Out of hour enquiries
We operate an emergency out of hours service for media enquiries. In the event of an emergency please call (01226) 773443 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be redirected to the on call officer.
The on-call officer is not on regular duty or based at work and therefore will not handle daily business enquiries. This facility is for major or critical incidents only, so email media requests sent to this address may not be answered until the next working weekday at 8.45am.
Find out about our news