We're responsible for maintaining and inspecting council owned trees in:

  • streets
  • parks and open spaces
  • cemeteries

We inspect our trees periodically, to make sure they're safe and in a healthy condition. Our programme for inspections varies according to the age of the trees, the condition, the location and species. Sometimes we remove trees to redevelop an area, or clear parts of our parks and woodland to make way for new species.

We pollard London planes on a three year rolling programme. We don't pollard every London plane which is reported to us.

Trees in gardens, or on other private land, are the responsibility of the owner. If a tree in a neighbouring property is causing you problems you should take it up with the owner. 

You have a right to prune any overhanging branches from council or privately owned trees back to the boundary of your property, unless it's a protected tree or you live in a conservation area. You'll be responsible for disposing of the prunings properly, either in your green bin or at a household waste and recycling centre.

Tree Preservation Orders and conservation areas

We have a duty to protect some trees and woodland in certain areas.

You'll need our permission to remove or prune a tree if it's a protected tree, or you live in a conservation area.

If you've applied for planning permission and are intending to remove any trees as part of the project, you'll need to check with us first to find out if they're protected.

You can find out more on our Tree Preservation Orders webpage.

How to report a tree problem

You can use our report a problem with a tree form to report a problem with a council owned tree in a street, park or open space, such as:

  • damage to your property from a tree
  • trees blocking street lights or signs

We don't deal with reports about:

  • falling leaves or debris, such as fruit, aphids or honeydew
  • branches overhanging your land
  • trees touching overhead wires (contact Openreach)
  • poor TV reception (you should think about how any nearby trees may grow when you're putting up your aerial or satellite dish)
  • trees blocking light into your home or garden

How to report a fallen tree/branch

Call 999 if a fallen tree/branch may be a potential risk to someone's safety. You should also call 999 where a vehicle's collided with a tree and people have been injured.

Call our 24-hour emergency helpline on (01226) 773555 if a fallen tree/branch is causing a dangerous obstruction on a road or pavement.

Use our report a problem with a tree form to report a fallen tree or branch that aren't an emergency.

What we'll do

We'll always check trees to avoid disturbing nesting birds before starting any work between March and October.

We'll only work on certain trees with dense crowns in winter, when the nesting season ends.

Report a problem with a tree

Call us on (01226) 773555 or