High hedge disputes

If you're having a dispute with a neighbour about the height of a hedge we may be able to help. You should try to sort it out between yourselves first, but if you can't resolve the issue you can get in touch with us. Keep a record of what action you've taken, because we can refuse to intervene if we think you haven't done everything you reasonably could to settle your dispute.

Having a high hedge isn't an offence, but if it can be proved that it's a nuisance because it's affecting the reasonable enjoyment of your property, we can take action.

We charge £300 for investigating high hedge complaints.

Asking us to get involved

If you've tried to resolve the dispute with your neighbours and can't reach an agreement, you can use our high hedge complaints form to ask us to look at the matter.

You must be able to explain the problems that you experience in your home and garden because of the height of the hedge.

When we've received your form we'll look at the evidence of the action you've taken to sort the problem out. We'll also arrange to come out to look at the hedge. 

If we decide that formal action is required, we'll serve a notice to your neighbour that sets out what they must to do to the hedge and when they must do it by.

If you disagree with our decision you can appeal to the independent Planning Inspectorate within 28 days of the date of your decision letter from us.

You can read the government's useful guide about complaining about high hedges to the council.