Local self-build register

We maintain a register of people who are interested in self-build or custom build projects in Barnsley.  The register helps us to understand the demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in Barnsley. 

You can read more about why councils maintain a register in the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act as amended in 2016.

Register your interest 

You can apply to join the register as an individual or as an association of individuals. 

To be entered on the register your application must meet a number of criteria. They're set out in the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016.

Applicants must be: 

  • aged 18 or over
  • a British citizen, a national of an EEA state other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land within Barnsley.  This will be for your own self build and custom housebuilding

It would be helpful if you could provide any further information regarding the type of land you're interested in. Please include the location, the plot size preferences and type of housing intended to be built.

We'll let you know within 28 days whether or not you've been included on the register.

What happens next 

We're required to keep and to publicise a self-build and custom housebuilding register.

In line with national planning policy guidance, we may also publish headline data from the register. This includes:

  • the number of individuals and associations on the register
  • the number of plots of land sought
  • details about the type of land that there is an interest in

We won't publish any personal details. 

When you're on the register we'll contact you if any land becomes available that meets your self-build requirements. We'll also contact you every 12 months when we review our register, to confirm you want to remain on it. 

Removing me from the register

Contact us online if you want to be removed from the register, or to amend an entry at any time.  Your entry will be removed within 28 days of receiving your written request.

In some instances it may be appropriate for us to remove entries from the register. This includes situations where:

  • we consider that the individual or member of association is no longer eligible for entry in the register
  • where the person has acquired land suitable for building a house

If we remove your entry from the register we'll let you know and the reasons why within 28 days.

I want to make land available for self-build and custom housebuilding 

Contact us online if you own a plot of land you wish to make available for self-build and custom housebuilding.

We'd like to send this information and your contact details to those people on the self-build and custom housebuilding register. Our enquiry form asks you to confirm that you're willing for the details you've provided to be shared in this way.

I want to make a self-build and custom housebuilding general enquiry

Contact us online if you have any general enquiries about self-build and custom housebuilding or the register.