Report a dust problem

If you're having problems with dust from a building site, a factory or other business premises you can report it to us on our online form below.

We don't accept anonymous reports. You'll need to tell us your name, address and an email address in case we want to contact you. 

You should also read the information below, before you fill the form in.

Dust that you can report to us

We usually deal with reports about dust that is coming from:

  • building work
  • construction vehicles 
  • quarries
  • cement works
  • waste and recycling facilities
  • other industrial sites

We use the guidance in the Environmental Protection Act 1990, as well as the information you've told us to decide if we can investigate dust reports.

What you'll need to tell us

You can't make an anonymous report to us. We won't share your name or contact details with the person or business you're reporting. 

You'll need to tell us:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • where the dust is coming from
  • when it happens and how long it lasts for
  • how it affects you
  • about anything you've done to deal with it 

What happens next?

When we receive your form we'll usually contact or visit the business to investigate the problem, and decide if the dust is a 'statutory nuisance'. We'll also check what measures are already in place to control the dust, and advise the owner on any action they should take. 

If this doesn't resolve the problem we can serve an abatement notice on the owner (under Section 80 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990).

If they don't comply with the notice we can take legal action.