Licences for street cafes

If you own a cafe or restaurant in Barnsley and want to place tables, chairs and other furniture on the pavement outside the premises for customer use, you'll need a licence.

If you intend to serve alcohol outside, you need to speak to one of our licensing officers.

Apply for a licence

You can apply by completing our form, and returning it to You can also post it to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, PO Box 601, Barnsley, S70 9FA.

Before you apply

Please read our guidance notes.

You'll need to provide a plan of the premises and copies of any relevant planning permission. You'll also need details of any interested parties.

The cost of the licence is £452, which includes the cost of two highway inspections. The annual renewal cost is £225. We’ll invoice you for this amount, which you can pay by debit or credit card

What happens next

When we receive your application, including any extra details we've asked for, we'll talk to the police and emergency services.

This consultation period and the issuing of the licence can take up to 12 weeks from the time we receive all your paperwork.