Along with the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA) and our partners, we're proposing an upgrade and resurfacing of the Trans Pennine Trail (TPT) route. This would be between Worsbrough and Wombwell.
The project is part of the City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement (CRSTS). It's supported by the SYMCA and central government. It's for the creation of new and upgraded active travel links to increase walking and cycling in the borough. As a result, this should reduce reliance on car-based journeys.
We've committed to upgrading many areas of the network to improve the attractiveness of the active travel routes in the borough. This scheme is part of the commitment. It seeks to improve the key strategic route between Worsbrough and Wombwell along the TPT.
Some of the improvements the scheme aims to deliver include:
- improved off-road safe cycle routes
- greater linked routes and wider connections
- enhanced connections to residential areas
- better signage to active travel routes
- improved road crossing provision
This scheme proposes to resurface and widen the existing TPT route to a minimum 3m wide shared use walking and cycle track. This is between Haverlands Lane, Worsbrough, and Bradberry Balk Lane, Wombwell. This will improve the quality and capacity of the route. It will help bring it into compliance with modern active travel route guidance.
The scheme also proposes upgrades and improvements to the road crossings on the A61 Park Road and Station Road. This will improve the quality and accessibility of the route at these points.
The list below shows the proposed key milestones that we’re working towards for this project:
- Scheme consultation and development - March 2023.
- Full business case submission - September 2023.
- Construction start - January 2024.
- Construction end - May 2024.
We'd like to get your views on the scheme via a public consultation. This will run for three weeks from Tuesday 28 February to 21 March 2023.
Within this period, you can provide feedback to these proposals in several ways. We're holding a drop-in consultation session in both Worsbrough and Wombwell in early March. This will give people the chance to view our plans and provide in-person feedback. Details of the events can be found below:
- 1 March 2023 - 1pm to 7pm - Worsbrough Sports and Development Association, Park Road, Worsbrough, Barnsley S70 5LJ
- 8 March 2023 - 1pm to 7pm - St Michael and All Angels Church Hall, 23 Park Street, Wombwell, Barnsley, S73 0HQ
Feedback can be given via our online survey, which we encourage you to complete. Fill in the online survey.
For any further details regarding this transport scheme, or to provide feedback, please contact us. You can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.