Skills and employability

Supporting special education needs and disabilities

Find out more about post-16 options and the support available to help you progress to higher education or employment.

Our Targeted Information Advice and Guidance (TIAG) Team can help you access impartial support to explore courses and providers. This will help you set and achieve your goals.


Support once your EHCP finishes

Adult education and training

There are a range of adult education and training options available to you after your EHCP has ended. You can speak with a TIAG advisor who can help you with discussing your options. 

Community groups and clubs

Live well Barnsley is an online directory. It includes a range of clubs and groups for young people and adults with learning or physical difficulties.


For housing support to be able to live either fully independent or as independent as possible, visit Barnsley Virtual Family Hub.

Health and Wellbeing

Barnsley adult learning disability service

If you need help and support with your health and wellbeing:

Continuing healthcare

Some people may need ongoing healthcare as an adult due to their health needs. If you need this you can speak to a member of the Barnsley continuing healthcare team regarding CHC.

Independence and social services

Social service support

Some people may need help being independent due to a learning difficulty or a physical difficulty. If you feel you need this:


Moving into further education and training for young people with an EHCP

Things to consider

  • We'll talk with you and your parent or guardian about your post-16 choices. If you haven’t chosen any, we’ll also talk to mainstream or specialist providers in the borough.
  • Post-16 specialist providers would only be an option if mainstream options can’t meet your needs.
  • Home to school transport would not be considered for out of borough provision if there's provision in borough available that can meet need.
  • Full-time education and training at post-16 are three days or 16 hours per week.
  • If you need more than three days, you'll require relevant assessments by health and social care.
  • Your EHCP will only continue from Year 14 onwards if you're on a realistic pathway towards employment or higher education. You must have also been making good progress.

How is further education different to school?

  • We have the same vision as the SEND Code of Practice. We expect our young people with SEND to be educated in a mainstream setting if it can meet your needs. This means they'll be alongside their peers.
  • Out of borough provision would only be agreed where we cannot meet your needs in borough. Or where it is cost-effective to do so. This is to ensure the council are abiding by the SEND Code of Practice.
    • Full-time education at post-16 is different from when you're at school. It’s equal to three days or 16 hours per week. This is to give the chance for part-time work and private study. It also gives you the chance to socialise with friends and family and take part in other activities.
  • You might benefit from extra support with non-education activities such as accessing the community. Therefore, you may require a four or five-day offer. If this is the case, you will require Health or Social Care Services. The relevant assessments will need to have been carried out and included in your EHCP. Please go to the SEND local offer to request relevant assessments for health or social services.

Home to school transport

Contact us

  • For information, advice, and guidance about moving onto further education, email us at
  • For advice on your Educational Health and Care plan, email us at or call (01226) 775142.


Financial support and applications

Every year, many Barnsley young people with SEND move on to higher education and go to university.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

  • Disabled students allowance is available to help students in higher education. This can help with extra costs they may incur on their course due to their learning difficulty or disability. This can include an ongoing health condition, mental health condition or any learning difficulty. Find out more and how to apply with UCAS.
  • The Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) will need a copy of your Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This is part of their assessment. The following details can be given to ensure this happens email or call (01226) 773966.
  • It's important the Higher Education Institution have a copy of your EHCP. Please ensure the relevant person at the University contacts the EHC Team using the contact details above.
  • If you are entitled to, and receive Adult Social Care Services, we'll maintain the support. This includes you moving to a new location for your course.
  • If you move location for your course but return to a different location during the holiday periods. We'll plan to ensure ongoing support is in place.
  • Please ensure you speak with your social worker as early as possible. This is so the right support can be arranged for you.

Student Finance England (SFA)

Student finance is a type of loan available to help cover your course and living costs.

Find out more about how to apply for student finance.

When to make an application

It is important to make your application as early as possible. This will make sure the right support is in place for when you start your course. You can apply for Disabled Students Allowance and Student Finance from the beginning of March onwards. Email or call (01226) 777777 for more information or support with your application.

Specialist education and colleges

There's lots of specialist colleges in and around Barnsley that you might be interested in.


Read more about specialist colleges