Electoral register

Like all councils, we keep two registers:

  • the electoral register (or electoral roll)
  • the open register (previously known as the edited register).

Electoral register

The register is a list of the names and addresses of everyone who’s entitled to vote. You can only vote in an election if you’re on the register.

The register is used for making sure only eligible people can vote.  It’s also used for detecting crime, such as fraud, calling people for jury service, and checking credit applications.

Being on the register increases your chances of being accepted for credit or a mortgage. It's one of the key sources companies use as a reference when you apply.

Call the elections helpline (01226) 773070 to see if you’re registered to vote in Barnsley.

Annual canvass

The annual canvass is a review of the electoral register. We may contact you by email, phone, post or personal visit and ask you to verify the occupants of your property. Find out more about the annual canvass.

Who can register

How to register

You'll need to register your details on the electoral register.

You can register to vote for the first time or update your current details online.

You’ll need your national insurance number, your payslips, or any letters about benefits or tax credits.  If you can't find your national insurance number, visit GOV.UK's find a national insurance number.

Viewing the electoral register

The full register can be viewed by the public. Call into the Town Hall weekdays between 8.30am and 5pm (4.30pm Fridays) if you want to view it.

By law, you can only look at the register under supervision.  You aren't allowed to take photographs or photocopies of it.  You can make handwritten notes.

Names on the register are listed by street name a to z within polling districts.  There's no facility to search the register by name. 

The open register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but it’s not used for elections. 

It can be bought in full or part by any person, company or business.  For example, it’s used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask us to remove them. You can do this by filling in the open register opt out form and emailing: electoralservices@barnsley.gov.uk. Or you can post it to Electoral Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley S70 9GG.

Removing your details from the open register doesn't affect your right to vote.