We’re very excited to announce that we’re bringing Christmas back to the Town Hall this year for our annual Christmas at the Town Hall event. This year’s free festive event will take place on Sunday 10 December between 11am and 3pm where Santa will be waiting to welcome you to Barnsley’s splendid Town Hall.
The welcome return of this popular event following the pandemic is made even more special this year as we celebrate the 90th Anniversary of Barnsley’s iconic town hall. What better way to celebrate than to fill it with Barnsley families enjoying festive activities, crafts and treats.
One of the hugely anticipated attractions will no doubt be the man in red himself - Father Christmas, who will be eagerly waiting in his grotto with his elf helpers to meet the children of Barnsley and hand out gifts to those on his good list (booking essential). There will be plenty of other activities on the go throughout the day for all the family to enjoy - here’s a festive flavour of the fun and treats in store:
- Get creative and have fun with a range of Christmas crafts and activities, including our festive tombola - with all money raised going to the Mayor’s Charities.
- Join our Family Hubs team for lots of activities and festive fun.
- Enjoy listening to festive tales with our storyteller.
- Enjoy a mince pie or two whilst enjoying festive music and entertainment from the Barnsley Singers and local school children.
- Meet the Mayor of Barnsley, Cllr James Michael Stowe, who will be offering children (and adults) the opportunity to dress up as him in the traditional mayoral robe and chains.
- Meet our local councillors and take a seat in the Council Chambers where important decisions are made.
- Find out about our services and how we can help and support you and your family with a number of our services showcased.
Speaking on behalf of the Organising Working Group, Cllr Sharon Howard, said: “We’re really excited to be bringing Christmas back to the Town Hall once again. To be able to welcome families of all generations through the door to enjoy our magical family day ahead of our 90-year Anniversary is just wonderful.
“The last few years have been challenging for many and as the cost-of-living crisis continues, we’re delighted to be able to host an event that is free for families, fun and festive. It’s a real highlight of the year and I for one am looking forward to a mince pie and trying my luck on the tombola.
“A lot of time and dedication goes into the preparation of this event, and I’d like to thank everyone for their time, donations and commitment to make the event happen.”
Please note that Christmas at the Town Hall is a free event, and everyone is welcome to attend at any time between 11am and 3pm. However, due to the popularity of Father Christmas and to avoid long waiting times, booking will be essential.
Christmas at the Town Hall is just one highlight of Christmas festivities in the town centre this year. From the Christmas Light Switch on and Bright Nights, to the Christmas Markets and Pine Lodge Tipi Bar, the Christmas spirit is endless. In fact, it’s the final day of the Christmas Markets on the same day as Christmas at the Town Hall, so it's a great opportunity to make a day of it and do some Christmas shopping.
Find out what’s happening in the lead-up to Christmas in the town centre at barnsley.gov.uk/Events.
Follow us on Facebook @BarnsleyCouncil #BarnsleyCTH2023.