The countdown has begun as we prepare to open the doors to our iconic town hall for the return of our annual Christmas at the Town Hall event. This year’s free festive event will take place on Sunday 10 December between 11am and 3pm where Santa and his elves will be waiting to welcome you to Barnsley’s splendid town hall.
The welcome return of this popular event is even more special this year as we approach the 90th Anniversary of Barnsley’s town hall opening its doors for the first time on Thursday 14 December. What better way to celebrate than to fill it with Barnsley families enjoying festive activities, crafts and treats?
One of the hugely anticipated attractions is a visit from Father Christmas, who will be arriving at the front of the town hall at 10.55am ahead of the event's official opening. He will then make his way to his grotto ready to meet the children of Barnsley. Booking was essential to meet Santa and as you can imagine, spaces ran out quicker than a plate of hot mince pies. Santa is very sorry that he can’t meet everyone but will be bringing some small gifts for any child who missed out on a ticket.
If you did miss out on a ticket this time, don’t worry as there will be plenty of other activities on the go throughout the day for all the family to enjoy - here’s a festive flavour of the fun and treats in store:
- Get creative and have fun with a range of Christmas crafts and activities for children.
- Browse the craft stalls including some of our young market traders.
- Have a go at our firm favourite festive tombola - with all money raised going to the Mayor’s Charities.
- Enjoy listening to festive tales with our storyteller in the museum gallery.
- Have a walk around Experience Barnsley Museum which will be open during the event.
- Enjoy a mince pie or two whilst enjoying festive music and entertainment from the Barnsley Singers.
- Keep an eye out for the Ugly Sisters who are popping in from Barnsley Civic where they are starring in this year’s pantomime, Cinderella.
- Meet the Mayor of Barnsley, Cllr James Michael Stowe, who will be offering children (and adults) the opportunity to dress up as him in the traditional mayoral robe and chains.
- Meet our local councillors and take a seat in the Council Chambers where important decisions are made.
- Find out about our services and how we can help and support you and your family with a number of our services showcased.
Speaking on behalf of the Organising Working Group, Cllr Sharon Howard, said: “We’re really excited to be bringing Christmas back to the town hall once again. To be able to welcome families of all generations through the door to enjoy our magical family day ahead of our 90-year Anniversary is just wonderful.
“The last few years have been challenging for many and as the cost-of-living crisis continues, we’re delighted to be able to host an event that is free for families, fun and festive. It’s a real highlight of the year and I for one am looking forward to a mince pie and trying my luck on the tombola.
“A lot of time and dedication goes into the preparation of this event, and I’d like to thank everyone for their time, donations and commitment to make the event happen.”
Christmas at the Town Hall is just one highlight of Christmas festivities in the town centre this year. The Christmas Light Switch on and Bright Nights kicked it all off in amazing style, followed by our Christmas Markets and Pine Lodge Tipi Bar - the Christmas spirit is endless. In fact, it’s the final day of the Christmas Markets on the same day as Christmas at the Town Hall - a great opportunity to make a day of it and do some Christmas shopping. Find out what’s happening in the lead-up to Christmas in the town centre at www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/events.
Please note that Christmas at the Town Hall is a free event, and everyone is welcome to attend at any time between 11am and 3pm.
Follow us on Facebook @BarnsleyCouncil