Equipment and adaptations

If you have an illness or long term condition that stops you doing everyday tasks in your home, or prevents you doing them safely, we can help.

We can advise you about equipment or home adaptations that could improve your situation and help you retain your independence.

We can offer you or your carer advice on:

  • better ways of doing everyday tasks around your home
  • safer moving/handling methods in case you need physically lifting in and out of a chair or bed

We can also provide equipment and make adaptations to your home, such as:

  • a raised toilet seat to help you sit and stand from the toilet more easily, or a seat inside your bath to help you to get in and out safely.  
  • fitting a grab rail to a wall, or a second handrail to the staircase, or even a stair lift, ramp or shower.

Asking for help

If you need help with equipment or home adaptations you can:

  • ask a professional to contact us on your behalf
  • complete our online referral form 
  • call the Equipment and Adaptations Service on (01226) 775800
  • text phone: 07825 454888 (for BSL users)
    You or your representative will be asked for information about yourself, your home and the difficulties you're having 

Assessing your needs

When you contact us, we'll assess your level of need before we provide any support. This helps us to prioritise support for people who have the greatest risk to their health, safety and independence.

In some cases, where you just need a basic piece of equipment, we can sort this without coming to your home, but usually we'll arrange to visit you to talk to you and your carers about the problems you're experiencing. We may ask you to show us how you carry out practical tasks so that we can see exactly what you're struggling with.  

Getting the right support

Your individual circumstances will determine the way you can access support.

If you need basic equipment, such as a commode, bed pan, urinal, bed cradle or catheter bag stand, you don't need a specialist assessment. Call the Community Equipment Service on (01226) 320990 and they'll deliver the equipment to your home, or you can arrange for someone to collect it from Unit 33, Grange Lane Industrial Park, Stairfoot, Barnsley, S71 5AS. 

For more specialist equipment, such as a bath lift or raised toilet seat, you'll need an assessment. 

If you've had an assessment with a health or social care professional and you qualify for equipment because it's essential for your safety and wellbeing, we'll loan you the equipment free of charge for as long as you need it. Equipment can be ordered for you by physiotherapists, district nurses, occupational therapists and other services that are involved with your care.

If you receive a personal budget, you may be able to use some of this money to buy your own equipment. 

If you're a Berneslai Homes tenant, you can contact them directly to request a minor adaptation, including a grab rail, a stair rail or lever taps. They may also meet the cost of major alterations.  They'll want to assess your health and mobility first.

If you're a housing association tenant, contact them first to request a minor adaptation as they're usually responsible for the cost of the work to be done. 

If you're a home owner or housing association tenant, and need some help with a major structural alteration to your home, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant  

Contact us to see whether you're eligible for this grant and we'll refer you to an approved supplier who can carry out the work. It's important, if you do apply for this grant, that you don't start any work before your application's been approved as payment can't be made for any work that's already been started.

If we can't adapt your home, we can offer you advice and help to find and move to another property.

We'll also refer you to other services that may be able to offer you additional advice or support. 

Stay Put

Stay Put is a not-for-profit home improvement agency operated by Yorkshire Housing. They provide independent advice on repairs, improvements and adaptations, in particular for disabled people and those aged over 60.

You can find out more about them on their website.

Online help guide - AskSARA

AskSARA is a national help guide, with an easy-to-use online self assessment.  It's a useful starting point if you aren't sure what type of items you need to support you.

You can choose from a list of health and mobility issues that you're experiencing, answer some questions about yourself, and receive personalised and impartial advice.