The Care Act (2015) makes care and support more accessible and consistent across England.
The changes mean that people will be able to get the care and support they need. This can come from either the council or other organisations in the community. There'll be different ways to pay for care and support. Help will also be available for people who give unpaid care and support to an adult family member or friend.
Changes introduced through the Care Act include:
- a requirement on councils to meet a new national minimum threshold for people's care and support needs. This will make the criteria for deciding who can receive help more consistent across the country
- new support for carers to make it easier for carers to get direct help with caring
- new deferred payment agreements for care costs
- a requirement on councils to provide a wide range of information and advice
Support for carers
Are you providing unpaid care or support to an adult family member or friend? As a result of the changes from the care act, you may be able to get help.
'Caring' for someone involves involves helping them with lots of different things. You may need to help them to wash, dress, go to appointments, or socialise so they don't become isolated.
We can offer you a carer's assessment to see what care and support you need. We'll also work out how much help we can give you. Call adult social services on (01226) 773300 if you want an assessment.
A deferred payment allows you to use the value of your home to help pay care home costs. See more information about deferred payments.
The following links give more information about adult social care services and the changes resulting from the Care Act.
- A guide to adult social care
- Understanding your journey
- Children's transition to adult social care
- Advocacy for care and support
- Safeguarding adults
- Deferred payment agreements
- Support for carers
- Support for prisoners
- Watch a short film on the Care Act (Skills for Care)
- Care Act factsheets (Department of Health)
- The Care Act 2014 legislation (HM Government)
- Easy Read: The new Care Act, Caring For Our Future (HM Government)
- Easy Read: Care and Support is Changing (HM Government)
- Easy Read: Care and Support is Changing, for carers (HM Government)
- Easy Read: Deferred Payments (HM Government)
- Easy Read: Paying for adult social care services, the changes in the Care Act (HM Government)