The Care Act

The Care Act (2015) makes care and support more accessible and consistent across England.

The changes mean that people will be able to get the care and support they need. This can come from either the council or other organisations in the community. There'll be different ways to pay for care and support. Help will also be available for people who give unpaid care and support to an adult family member or friend.

What's changed

Changes introduced through the Care Act include:

  • a requirement on councils to meet a new national minimum threshold for people's care and support needs. This will make the criteria for deciding who can receive help more consistent across the country.
  • new support for carers to make it easier for carers to get direct help with caring
  • new deferred payment agreements for care costs
  • a requirement on councils to provide a wide range of information and advice

Support for carers

If you're providing unpaid care or support to an adult family member or friend, you may be able to get help.

'Caring' for someone involves helping them with lots of different things. You may need to help them to wash, dress, go to appointments, or socialise so they don't become isolated.

We can offer you a carer's assessment to see what care and support you need. We'll also work out how much help we can give you. Call adult social services on (01226) 773300 if you want an assessment.

If you're a young carer, or a parent caring for a disabled child, you have similar rights to an assessment.  Read more about young carers and parent carers.

Deferred payments

A deferred payment allows you to use the value of your home to help pay care home costs. See more information about deferred payments.

Useful resources

The following links give more information about adult social care services and the changes resulting from the Care Act.